How to run X applications using different user ids on two different machines - Xwindows

This is a discussion on How to run X applications using different user ids on two different machines - Xwindows ; Hello newsgroup participants, I am in the following situation: I have two accounts (let us call them a1 and a2) on two different machines (let us call them m1 and m2). I want to do following: I would like to ...

  1. How to run X applications using different user ids on two different machines

    Hello newsgroup participants,
    I am in the following situation:
    I have two accounts (let us call them a1 and a2) on two different
    machines (let us call them m1 and m2). I want to do following: I would
    like to start application
    on machine m1 under account a1 and got it displayed back on machine m2
    (so far account does not matter). I cannot set any additional user
    acount on machine m2
    because I do not have root privilegies, so it means also I cannot set
    any user
    account a1 on machine m2. Magic cookie authorization, as I understand
    it, would not work under these circumstances in its most common form
    but maybe there are some not so obvious methods how to achieve what I
    want?

    Thank you in advance.

    With Best Regards
    Ariel Burbaickij

  2. Re: How to run X applications using different user ids on two different machines

    In comp.windows.x, Ariel.Burbaickij@web.de

    wrote
    on 7 May 2004 04:36:25 -0700
    :
    > Hello newsgroup participants,
    > I am in the following situation:
    > I have two accounts (let us call them a1 and a2) on two different
    > machines (let us call them m1 and m2). I want to do following: I would
    > like to start application
    > on machine m1 under account a1 and got it displayed back on machine m2
    > (so far account does not matter). I cannot set any additional user
    > acount on machine m2
    > because I do not have root privilegies, so it means also I cannot set
    > any user
    > account a1 on machine m2. Magic cookie authorization, as I understand
    > it, would not work under these circumstances in its most common form
    > but maybe there are some not so obvious methods how to achieve what I
    > want?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    The simplest method is to use ssh:

    ssh -X a2@m2

    will do exactly what you want, if m2 supports X11Forwarding
    in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. (By default this is disabled, however.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  3. Re: How to run X applications using different user ids on two different machines

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/xauth.html

    Alan Coopersmith alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
    http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM