xterm - Overriding XTerm.VT100*faceName w/ -fn option - Xwindows

This is a discussion on xterm - Overriding XTerm.VT100*faceName w/ -fn option - Xwindows ; If the following has been specified in ~/.Xresources (~/.Xdefaults is a hard link to it)... XTerm.VT100*faceName: courier ....xterm cannot be made to use a "non freetype font" (is that phrase correct?) via "-fn" option (xterm -fn fixed); the font specified ...

  1. xterm - Overriding XTerm.VT100*faceName w/ -fn option

    If the following has been specified in ~/.Xresources (~/.Xdefaults
    is a hard link to it)...

    XTerm.VT100*faceName: courier

    ....xterm cannot be made to use a "non freetype font" (is that phrase
    correct?) via "-fn" option (xterm -fn fixed); the font specified in
    the file is always used. Another "freetype font" can be used from
    the command line in contrast (xterm -fa 'luxi mono').

    (In the above scenario, courier font is used as default or when fixed
    font is specified; luxi mono font overrides courier.)

    On the other hand, if i have not specified any "freetype font" in
    Xresources, both "non freetype" and "freetype" font can be used when
    specified on the command line.

    Why is it that -fn option does not override a "freetype font"
    setting specified in ~/.Xresources? (Better yet, is there a way to
    override the "freetype font" resource from the command line w/ a
    "non freetype font"?)

    I am using XFree86 4.3.0 (built from FreeBSD ports system).

    - parv

    --
    As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
    tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do

  2. Re: xterm - Overriding XTerm.VT100*faceName w/ -fn option

    parv wrote:
    > If the following has been specified in ~/.Xresources (~/.Xdefaults
    > is a hard link to it)...

    > XTerm.VT100*faceName: courier

    > ...xterm cannot be made to use a "non freetype font" (is that phrase
    > correct?) via "-fn" option (xterm -fn fixed); the font specified in
    > the file is always used. Another "freetype font" can be used from
    > the command line in contrast (xterm -fa 'luxi mono').

    I recently modified this behavior so the choice between freetype and
    bitmap fonts is selectable. That's in patch #185 (2004/3/3).

    > (In the above scenario, courier font is used as default or when fixed
    > font is specified; luxi mono font overrides courier.)

    > On the other hand, if i have not specified any "freetype font" in
    > Xresources, both "non freetype" and "freetype" font can be used when
    > specified on the command line.

    > Why is it that -fn option does not override a "freetype font"
    > setting specified in ~/.Xresources? (Better yet, is there a way to
    > override the "freetype font" resource from the command line w/ a
    > "non freetype font"?)

    long story there...

    > I am using XFree86 4.3.0 (built from FreeBSD ports system).

    That's only about a year old.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  3. Re: xterm - Overriding XTerm.VT100*faceName w/ -fn option

    in message <109mtj769l6i67a@corp.supernews.com>,
    wrote Thomas Dickey ...

    > parv wrote:
    >> If the following has been specified in ~/.Xresources ...

    >> XTerm.VT100*faceName: courier

    >> ...xterm cannot be made to use a "non freetype font" (is that
    >> phrase correct?) via "-fn" option (xterm -fn fixed); the font
    >> specified in the file is always used. Another "freetype font"
    >> can be used from the command line in contrast (xterm -fa 'luxi
    >> mono').

    > I recently modified this behavior so the choice between freetype
    > and bitmap fonts is selectable. That's in patch #185 (2004/3/3).

    Ah. Thanks Thomas; i will try to locate & patch the port locally.

    >> Why is it that -fn option does not override a "freetype font"
    >> setting specified in ~/.Xresources?

    > long story there...

    If you don't mind, do you have a pointer to the amusing story?

    - parv

    --
    As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
    tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do
    away w/ WhereElse in the address for private communication.

  4. Re: xterm - Overriding XTerm.VT100*faceName w/ -fn option

    in message ,
    wrote parv ...

    > in message <109mtj769l6i67a@corp.supernews.com>,
    > wrote Thomas Dickey ...
    >
    >> parv wrote:
    >>> If the following has been specified in ~/.Xresources ...

    >>> XTerm.VT100*faceName: courier

    >>> ...xterm cannot be made to use a "non freetype font" (is that
    >>> phrase correct?) via "-fn" option (xterm -fn fixed); the font
    >>> specified in the file is always used. Another "freetype font"
    >>> can be used from the command line in contrast (xterm -fa 'luxi
    >>> mono').

    >> I recently modified this behavior so the choice between freetype
    >> and bitmap fonts is selectable. That's in patch #185 (2004/3/3).

    > Ah. Thanks Thomas; i will try to locate & patch the port locally.

    I have compiled the xterm(-187); it is behaving as Thomas D noted
    above. Thanks again.

    - parv

    --
    As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
    tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do
    away w/ WhereElse in the address for private communication.

+ Reply to Thread