Does gnome-terminal have a translation table? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Does gnome-terminal have a translation table? - Xwindows ; Please forgive me if this is one of the frequently-asked questions; I am not a regular reader of this newsgroup. Does the gnome-terminal program have a translation table? For that matter, does it use X resources at all? Or any ...

  1. Does gnome-terminal have a translation table?

    Please forgive me if this is one of the frequently-asked questions; I am not
    a regular reader of this newsgroup.

    Does the gnome-terminal program have a translation table? For that matter,
    does it use X resources at all? Or any Xt features?

    My immediate goal is to empower, e.g., a function key, to perform, e.g.,
    the "paste" function. In xterm this is easy. Just do an "xrdb -merge"
    on input containing the following line:

    xterm*vt100.translations: #override\nF18:insert-selection(CLIPBOARD)

    But I see no way of doing this for gnome-terminal. If I could implement
    my customary translation table, I would begin using gnome-terminal rather
    than xterm.

    Thank you in advance for your replies.

  2. Re: Does gnome-terminal have a translation table?

    Jay F. Shachter wrote:
    > Please forgive me if this is one of the frequently-asked questions; I am not
    > a regular reader of this newsgroup.

    > Does the gnome-terminal program have a translation table? For that matter,
    > does it use X resources at all? Or any Xt features?

    ldd doesn't seem to show that it uses Xt.

    > My immediate goal is to empower, e.g., a function key, to perform, e.g.,
    > the "paste" function. In xterm this is easy. Just do an "xrdb -merge"
    > on input containing the following line:

    > xterm*vt100.translations: #override\nF18:insert-selection(CLIPBOARD)

    > But I see no way of doing this for gnome-terminal. If I could implement
    > my customary translation table, I would begin using gnome-terminal rather
    > than xterm.

    perhaps someday someone will write a (useful) manpage for gnome-terminal.
    For the foreseeable future, you're stuck with reading its source code.

    (yes, I've read the so-called documentation that comes with it)

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

+ Reply to Thread