Data projector problems under X - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Data projector problems under X - Xwindows ; I have recently encountered two Sanyo data projectors which don't recognise my laptop (HP Omnibook/Suse 9.0/XFree86 4.4.0). They project fine if I bootup in Windows, as does the entire Linux boot sequence up to the point it goes into X. ...

  1. Data projector problems under X

    I have recently encountered two Sanyo data projectors which don't
    recognise my laptop (HP Omnibook/Suse 9.0/XFree86 4.4.0). They project
    fine if I bootup in Windows, as does the entire Linux boot sequence
    up to the point it goes into X.

    What is odd is that occasionally it works. I used to run an earlier
    version of XFree86 so tried upgradingt to see whether it would
    work. When I tested, it worked (not perfectly, the screen size wasn't
    rigt and it cut off the bottom 20 or so pixels). The next morning at
    my lecture I just got a blue screen.

    Our AV technician has a theory is that the cable between the podium
    and the dataprojector is too long and the output from my laptop is too
    weak (which doesn't explain why it works in Windows). He tested the
    theory by directly plugging into the dataprojector with a very short
    cable and then it worked (module the bottom 20 or so pixels being cut
    off).

    I have used the machine with many other data projectors without any
    problems. Does anyone have any suggestions.

    Many thanks

    Scott

    --
    ---- Scott Hazelhurst ------------------------ scott@cs.wits.ac.za --------
    School of Computer Science, University of the Witwatersrand,

  2. Re: Data projector problems under X

    Scott Hazelhurst drowning:

    > I have used the machine with many other data projectors without any
    > problems. Does anyone have any suggestions.

    With some projectors you have to use a smaller resolution.
    At least I've had this problem with Windows, never tried with XFree86...

    Does not hurt to try, since the projector works during boot.

    []s
    --
    Chaos Master® - Posting from Brazil
    MSN: Wizard_of_Yendor@hotmail.com / ICQ: 126735906