TransluXent, transaparency questions... - Xwindows

This is a discussion on TransluXent, transaparency questions... - Xwindows ; Hi, some time ago i found this here: http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/%7E...ent/index.html As I first saw that, i thought this was _anything_ I was always looking for. Of course, I immediatly tried it with X4.3 and my ati drivers (fglrx). But as I ...

  1. TransluXent, transaparency questions...

    Hi,

    some time ago i found this here:
    http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/%7E...ent/index.html

    As I first saw that, i thought this was _anything_ I was always looking
    for. Of course, I immediatly tried it with X4.3 and my ati drivers
    (fglrx). But as I expected - it won't work.

    I wrote the author to ask for some help, but there seems to be nobody
    responding. Also the last News entry is older than a year. So I did some
    googling and found that this guy was posting in this newsgroup about this
    hack he wrote.

    Now first of all: Is the author still here active ??

    if not: anyone knows it there is a way to implent the same on the X4.4
    Server or maybe on the X.org Server?

    Or is there something out there that would give me real alpha blending on
    my XServer?

    And, yes I already tried and know the Xserver from Freedesktop.org, but as
    this more or less only provides a extension for applications to add
    transparency this is not really what i'm looking for. Adding alpha to
    _any_ window would be perfect

    Thanks

    Markus Meissner

  2. Re: TransluXent, transaparency questions...

    Hello,

    Markus Meissner writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > some time ago i found this here:
    > http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/%7E...ent/index.html
    >
    > As I first saw that, i thought this was _anything_ I was always looking
    > for. Of course, I immediatly tried it with X4.3 and my ati drivers
    > (fglrx). But as I expected - it won't work.
    >
    > I wrote the author to ask for some help, but there seems to be nobody
    > responding. Also the last News entry is older than a year. So I did some
    > googling and found that this guy was posting in this newsgroup about this
    > hack he wrote.
    >
    > Now first of all: Is the author still here active ??

    I am not Gilbert Baumann, but I kind of know a little bit what he is
    up to, and I suspect he is not going to answer this message anyway.

    Gilbert has been very busy with some commercial programming for nearly
    a year, but I fully expect him to continue this project. I just don't
    know when.

    However, he has announced that he will be coming to the LSM in
    Bordeaux this year, so if you want to see him, you should consider
    coming as well. That would also be an excellent opportunity to
    discuss the future of this project.

    > if not: anyone knows it there is a way to implent the same on the X4.4
    > Server or maybe on the X.org Server?
    >
    > Or is there something out there that would give me real alpha blending on
    > my XServer?
    >
    > And, yes I already tried and know the Xserver from Freedesktop.org, but as
    > this more or less only provides a extension for applications to add
    > transparency this is not really what i'm looking for. Adding alpha to
    > _any_ window would be perfect

    I am afraid I do not know enough about implementing X servers to
    answer these questions.

    --
    Robert Strandh

    Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: any sufficiently complicated C

  3. Re: TransluXent, transaparency questions...

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:00:12 +0200, Robert STRANDH wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Markus Meissner writes:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> some time ago i found this here:
    >> http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/%7E...ent/index.html
    >>
    >> As I first saw that, i thought this was _anything_ I was always looking
    >> for. Of course, I immediatly tried it with X4.3 and my ati drivers
    >> (fglrx). But as I expected - it won't work.
    >>
    >> I wrote the author to ask for some help, but there seems to be nobody
    >> responding. Also the last News entry is older than a year. So I did some
    >> googling and found that this guy was posting in this newsgroup about this
    >> hack he wrote.
    >>
    >> Now first of all: Is the author still here active ??

    > I am not Gilbert Baumann, but I kind of know a little bit what he is
    > up to, and I suspect he is not going to answer this message anyway.

    This is better than nothing

    > Gilbert has been very busy with some commercial programming for nearly
    > a year, but I fully expect him to continue this project. I just don't
    > know when.
    >
    > However, he has announced that he will be coming to the LSM in
    > Bordeaux this year, so if you want to see him, you should consider
    > coming as well. That would also be an excellent opportunity to
    > discuss the future of this project.

    Actually I'm living in Germany, so it's not really possible for me to come
    down all the way to Bordeaux for the LSM. But I would be very happy if
    anyone could give him a little impulse to continue this project.

    But I'm asking myself, why there is nobody that could "adopt" this project?
    Is it really that hard to implent this? Or is this just a thing nobody (
    except me ) wants to have?

    I already tried "fighting" through the code, but my knowledge about
    implenting X Servers and OpenGL coding is very limited or better not
    existing.

    >> if not: anyone knows it there is a way to implent the same on the X4.4
    >> Server or maybe on the X.org Server?
    >>
    >> Or is there something out there that would give me real alpha blending on
    >> my XServer?
    >>
    >> And, yes I already tried and know the Xserver from Freedesktop.org, but as
    >> this more or less only provides a extension for applications to add
    >> transparency this is not really what i'm looking for. Adding alpha to
    >> _any_ window would be perfect

    > I am afraid I do not know enough about implementing X servers to
    > answer these questions.

    Is there no other project aiming the same targets? Am I really
    the only one who wants to have transparency?

    Greets
    Markus Meissner

  4. Re: TransluXent, transaparency questions...

    Markus Meissner writes:

    > > However, he has announced that he will be coming to the LSM in
    > > Bordeaux this year, so if you want to see him, you should consider
    > > coming as well. That would also be an excellent opportunity to
    > > discuss the future of this project.
    > >

    > Actually I'm living in Germany, so it's not really possible for me to come
    > down all the way to Bordeaux for the LSM. But I would be very happy if
    > anyone could give him a little impulse to continue this project.

    I'll be sure to let him know.

    > But I'm asking myself, why there is nobody that could "adopt" this project?

    That would be great, of course.

    > Is it really that hard to implent this?

    According to Gilbert, it is not that hard. On the other hand, he is
    a better programmer than most, so others might find it considerably
    harder.

    > Or is this just a thing nobody (
    > except me ) wants to have?

    I would like to see it myself. It would solve all kinds of problems
    that we currently have with anti-aliased fonts and transparency. The
    `render' extension moves such functionality to the client, whereas it
    would be nice to have it in the server.

    > I already tried "fighting" through the code, but my knowledge about
    > implenting X Servers and OpenGL coding is very limited or better not
    > existing.

    Welcome to the club.