Where's my desktop? (Linux) - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Where's my desktop? (Linux) - Xwindows ; In a misguided effort to get apt-get to install some package, I unwisely uninstalled and re-installed several gnome-related packages. The re-installation went (seemingly) without a hitch, but now a few things are very messed up. The most serious one is ...

  1. Where's my desktop? (Linux)

    In a misguided effort to get apt-get to install some package, I
    unwisely uninstalled and re-installed several gnome-related packages.
    The re-installation went (seemingly) without a hitch, but now a
    few things are very messed up.

    The most serious one is that when I run startx from the console,
    I get an X environment *with no desktop*: the background is a
    fine-grained black-and-white (effectively gray) herringbone pattern,
    not the solid-color background I had before, and there are no bars
    with launch icons, minimized windows, etc. running along the bottom
    and top.

    (Luckily there were a few xterms in an earlier saved session, which
    got re-started automatically for the new X session, otherwise I
    don't know how I would have been able to communicate with the
    system--other than by switching to a text-mode console with
    ctrl-alt-F? or by killing the X server altogether with ctrl-alt-backspace.)

    As before, I have chosen gdm as my default "display manager", but
    this does not seem to be enough to bring back my desktop. If
    instead of running startx from the console I run gdm, eventually
    (after logging in again) I land at another desktop-less X environment,
    although this time I get my old solid-color background.

    What must I do to bring back my old desktop or ANY desktop?

    Thanks!

    kj

    P.S. I am running Linux Debian 3.0 (woody), with a 2.4.18 kernel.

    --
    NOTE: In my address everything before the period is backwards.

  2. Re: Where's my desktop? (Linux)

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:45:03 +0000 (UTC), kj wrote:

    > The most serious one is that when I run startx from the console,
    > I get an X environment *with no desktop*: the background is a
    > fine-grained black-and-white (effectively gray) herringbone pattern,
    > not the solid-color background I had before, and there are no bars
    > with launch icons, minimized windows, etc. running along the bottom
    > and top.

    Perhaps

    /var/log/XFree86.0.log

    gives a hint to what is still missing.