Newbie question about X programming - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Newbie question about X programming - Xwindows ; I have recently started to learn about Xlib in order to develop a simple game (the computers used can't have anything more installed but Motif) with animated graphic but I am only in the early stage of developement becouse I ...

  1. Newbie question about X programming

    I have recently started to learn about Xlib in order to develop a
    simple game (the computers used can't have anything more installed but
    Motif) with animated graphic but I am only in the early stage of
    developement becouse I have difficulties to display properly pictures
    on screen.

    I suppose according to the documentation I found on Internet that I
    can make it using
    XpmReadFileToPixmap(display, filename, image, mask, attributes)
    XCopyPlane(display, src, dest, gc, src_x, src_y, width, height,
    dest_x, dest_y, plane)
    XSetClipMask(display, gc, pixmap)
    XCopyArea(display, src, dest, gc, src_x, src_y, width, height,
    dest_x, dest_y)

    But I have some problems while understanding how to use planes in
    order to show the bitmap of the mask (for testing purposes).

    When I tried to convert using XpmReadFileToPixmap() (from libXpm.a),
    XCreatePixmap() and XPutImage(), but I got a BadMatch error, and I
    didn't understand why (I suppose there was a misconfiguration of depth
    somewhere...)

    Furthermore I am wondering if there is not a more efficient way to use
    pictures with transparency than using the clip_mask of the GC struct
    since my only success in this project is displaying the picture but
    without plane_mask.

    I really would be pleased if someone can help me finding Web
    documentation, of if not possible, to explain me with a brief tutorial
    an example of usage of these function (or maybe a other method more
    efficient) to display pictures with transparency obtained from a xpm
    file.

    Thanks you very much in advance for your help and your interest
    Yvan BARTHELEMY
    Student at IUT d'Orsay (FRANCE)

  2. Re: Newbie question about X programming

    ybarthelemy@free.fr (Yvan Barth?lemy) wrote in
    news:f5016dea.0404121043.2723888a@posting.google.c om:
    > When I tried to convert using XpmReadFileToPixmap() (from libXpm.a),
    > XCreatePixmap() and XPutImage(), but I got a BadMatch error, and I
    > didn't understand why (I suppose there was a misconfiguration of depth
    > somewhere...)

    My web site has pointers to some tutorials on XPM, bit planes, and debugging BadMatch
    errors.

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

+ Reply to Thread