Problem with apps-default file - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Problem with apps-default file - Xwindows ; I have an apps-default file that I use for a family of custom applications. The following settings work across the entire family if applications as I'd expect them to when I use FVWM as my WM: *Background: LightGrey *XmText.background: linen ...

  1. Problem with apps-default file

    I have an apps-default file that I use for a family of custom applications.
    The following settings work across the entire family if applications as I'd
    expect them to when I use FVWM as my WM:

    *Background: LightGrey
    *XmText.background: linen
    *XmText.foreground: black
    *XmTextField.background: linen
    *XmTextField.foreground: black
    *XmToggleButton.SelectColor: red
    *XmPushButton.ArmColor: red
    *XmScrolledWindow*XmText.fontList: -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-12-*
    *XmText.fontList: -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-11-*
    *XmTextField.fontList: -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-11-*
    *XmMainWindow.fontList: -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-12-*

    For CDE these settings are not recognized unless I prepend the application
    name as follows:

    PAS*Background: LightGrey
    PAS*XmText.background: linen
    PAS*XmText.foreground: black

    PASrs*Background: LightGrey
    PASrs*XmText.background: linen
    PASrs*XmText.foreground: black

    PASsls*Background: LightGrey
    PASsls*XmText.background: linen
    PASsls*XmText.foreground: black

    Why is this necessary? Shouldn't I be able to wildcard this? I really don't
    want to repeat all my settings (there are quite a few) across the entire
    family of apps and I don't think I should have to!

    Any idea how I can can do this correctly?

    Thanks!

    --
    Jake Colman
    Sr. Applications Developer

  2. Re: Problem with apps-default file

    In comp.windows.x Jake Colman wrote:

    > For CDE these settings are not recognized unless I prepend the application
    > name as follows:

    That's probably because CDE is already using patterns such as
    *background: ugly

    A resource pattern can only be set once; you override it by making a
    more-specific pattern.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net