X.Org Foundation Announces Formation and First Release

The new X.Org Foundation will help drive the X Window System to support
state-of-the-art desktop technologies

San Francisco, CA., April 6, 2004 - X.Org Foundation today announces
their first release of the X Window System since the formation of the
Foundation in January of this year. The new X.Org release, called X
Window System Version 11 Release 6.7 (X11R6.7), builds on the work of
the X.Org X11R6.6 and XFree86(TM) Project Inc. V4.4RC2 releases to combine
many of the latest developments from a large number of the participants
and companies working with the X Window community. The X Window System
X11R6.7 release can be found at http://www.x.org/.

"We have made great progress in creating a framework upon which further
development of the X Window System can be based," agreed the Interim
Board of the Foundation. "We expect to provide the desktop community with
at least two more releases of the X Window System before the end of this
year to encompass all of the new technologies and ideas that we are
developing."

"This release marks the return to community development of the X Window
System under governance open to all contributors for the first time
since the founding of the X Consortium in 1988," said Jim Gettys,
co-founder of the X Window System, Interim X.Org Foundation board member
and member of the research staff of HP Labs.

"We welcome the formation of the X.Org Foundation and are looking forward
to support this group to bring the work on the X Window System to a new
technological level," said Egbert Eich, X Window System developer at
Novell's SUSE LINUX business unit.

Matthias Ettrich, Director of Software Development at Trolltech, said "As
a multi-platform GUI toolkit vendor, we appreciate the value of a
powerful underlying windowing system, and as such, we are excited about
the direction X.Org is heading. We are very much looking forward to
supporting new technologies around X, and we will do our share to make
the advances of the platform accessible to software developers."

"Being an underlying technology to the most popular desktops on all GNU
Systems, in particular GNOME and KDE, the X Window System is indeed an
essential part of most Free Software operating systems," said Georg C.F.
Greve, president of the FSF Europe. "It helps many users to access and
enjoy the freedom of Free Software. We are glad that X.Org will from now
on watch over this enabling technology."

"Red Hat is pleased to be working with the new X.Org Foundation to build
a vibrant open source community around X Window System innovation. Look
for X11R6.7 in the upcoming Fedora Core 2 and future Red Hat Enterprise
Linux products," said Havoc Pennington, desktop development manager at
Red Hat.

"As one of the largest GNU/Linux distribution projects in the world,
the Debian Project is delighted to see that freedom and diversity are
alive and well in the X technology sector. We're also delighted that the
X.Org Foundation is dedicated to retaining the licensing model that has
made the X Window System an enduring success," said Branden Robinson of
the Debian GNU/Linux Project. "Like us, the X.Org Foundation is a
member-driven organization devoted to Free Software. We cannot help but
be enthusiastic about them and the work they're doing for the X Window
System and Free Software communities alike."

"An open source project works best with a large community of active
contributors. OSI welcomes the return of X to open source development by
the entire community. I'm looking forward to contributing myself," said
Russell Nelson, Vice-President of the Open Source Initiative.

"Cygwin/X is benefiting heavily from the community-building spirit of the
X.Org Foundation and their open development environment. We are pleased
to be basing our releases on the good work of the X.Org Foundation," said
Harold L Hunt II of the Cygwin/X project.

"The XonX Project is very pleased that the X.Org Foundation has been
eager to support Darwin and Mac OS X. X11R6.7 adds new features that
will be appreciated by many Mac OS X users," said Torrey Lyons, XonX
Project Founder.

Membership of the X.Org Foundation is free to all participants.
Applications for membership are now being accepted, and active
participants in the further development of the X Window System are
invited to visit: http://www.x.org/XOrg_Foundation_Membership.html to
complete a membership application. Participation in the Foundations
Sponsor Group is also available to those who wish to financially support
the activities The X.Org Foundation. Current Sponsors include Hewlett
Packard, IBM, and SUN Microsystems.

About The Foundation Release
X11R6.7 is the first official X.Org Foundation release. It is the
successor release to X11R6.6 from X.Org. To assure consistency with
industry and community requirements and practices, it was developed from
the X.Org X11R6.6 code base and the XFree86 V4.4RC2 code base, with the
addition of bug fixes and enhancements. These enhancements include: new
IPv6 functionality, Freetype V2.1.7, fontconfig V2.2.2, Xft V2.1.6,
Xcursor V1.1.2, and Xrender V0.8.4, with corresponding changes in
documentation and notices. Additional source and binary releases are
anticipated during 2004.

About The X Window System
The X Window System provides the only common networked windowing
environment bridging the heterogeneous platforms in today's computing.
The X Window System is one of the most successful open-source,
collaborative technologies developed to date and is the standard
graphical window system for the Linux and UNIX operating systems. The
inherent independence of the X Window System from the operating system,
the network and the hardware, as well as its successful
interoperability, have made it widely available and deployed with more
than 30 million users worldwide. All major hardware vendors support the
X Window System and many third parties provide technologies for
integrating X Window System applications into the networked computer or
personal computer environments including Microsoft Windows, UNIX, Linux
and Mac OS X. Further, thousands of software developers provide X Window
System applications, and with the continued growth of Linux and the
emergence of Mac OS X, the number of users is growing rapidly.

About X.Org Foundation
X.Org Foundation L.L.C. is a recently formed Delaware company organized
to operate as a scientific charity under IRS code 501(c)(3), chartered
to develop and execute effective strategies that provide worldwide
stewardship of the X Window System technology and standards. The group
is currently managed by an Interim Board of Directors that includes:
Stuart Anderson (Free Standards Group), Egbert Eich (SUSE), Jim Gettys
(HP), Georg Greve (Free Software Foundation Europe), Stuart Kreitman
(SUN Microsystems), Kevin Martin (Red Hat), Jim McQuillan (Linux
Terminal Server Project), Leon Shiman (Shiman Associates) and Jeremy
White (Code Weavers). The website for the X.Org Foundation can be found
at http://www.x.org/.

Note to editors: UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the
US and other countries. LINUX is a registered trademark of Linus
Torvalds. XFree86 is a trademark of The XFree86 Project, Inc. Microsoft
and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the
United States and/or other countries. Mac OS is a registered trademark
of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. All
other company names are trademarks of the registered owners.

Alan Coopersmith alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM