FVWM and alternate Focus methods? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on FVWM and alternate Focus methods? - Xwindows ; My apologies if this is the wrong newsgroup (is there another for fvwm specific questions?) Sure feels good to get back to fvwm (what I started out with!) Seems to me there was some type of "Click-To-Focus" I could set ...

  1. FVWM and alternate Focus methods?

    My apologies if this is the wrong newsgroup (is there another for fvwm
    specific questions?)

    Sure feels good to get back to fvwm (what I started out with!)

    Seems to me there was some type of "Click-To-Focus" I could set some place
    that required one to click a window to get it's focus. Anyone remember/recall
    this setting?

    Is there some way to get a particular desktop-screen to recall the last window
    to get focus and preserve it across flipping screens? (I get screens/desktops
    and the multiple screens/pr desktop confused)

    What I'd like to do is run gvim in one desktop's screen(1), switch to
    another(2) running a browser, reload a web page, switch to (3) look at
    email/whatever switch back to (1) and have it remember 'gvim' was the one with
    focus last time I was there.

    Anyone recall if this is possible? (seems like it was at one point)

    Jamie

  2. Re: FVWM and alternate Focus methods?

    thumb_42@yahoo.com writes:

    > My apologies if this is the wrong newsgroup (is there another for fvwm
    > specific questions?)

    The best place to ask Fvwm questions is on the fvwm mail list.

    > Sure feels good to get back to fvwm (what I started out with!)
    >
    > Seems to me there was some type of "Click-To-Focus" I could set some place
    > that required one to click a window to get it's focus. Anyone remember/recall
    > this setting?

    There are all kinds of focus controls, all described in the man page.

    Just plain click to focus is:

    Sytle * ClickToFocus

    > Is there some way to get a particular desktop-screen to recall the last window
    > to get focus and preserve it across flipping screens? (I get screens/desktops
    > and the multiple screens/pr desktop confused)
    >
    > What I'd like to do is run gvim in one desktop's screen(1), switch to
    > another(2) running a browser, reload a web page, switch to (3) look at
    > email/whatever switch back to (1) and have it remember 'gvim' was the one with
    > focus last time I was there.
    >
    > Anyone recall if this is possible? (seems like it was at one point)

    This comes up every once and a while.
    If I remember right, there is no simple way to do it,
    but the perl module facility or FvwmEvent can do it.
    Check the FAQ, and if still not happy, try the mail list.

+ Reply to Thread