Tabs in XFCE Petition - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Tabs in XFCE Petition - Xwindows ; Hello, if you would like to see Tabs[1] in XFCE[2] sign the "Tabs in XFCE"[3] petition. I have heard many times that users would use Tabs, but the XFCE maintainers are against it. Hopefully we can show them with a ...

  1. Tabs in XFCE Petition

    Hello,

    if you would like to see Tabs[1] in XFCE[2] sign the "Tabs in XFCE"[3]
    petition. I have heard many times that users would use Tabs, but the
    XFCE maintainers are against it. Hopefully we can show them with a huge
    list of signatures that Tabs are a good idea. The petition goes from
    1st March to 1st May 2004.

    Note: This is not the "Peace on Earth and Beer for free"-Petition, we
    simply want to show that there are a lot users interested in Tabs.
    Nothing more.

    Please sign the petition here:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/tab4xfce/petition.html

    The website is terribly slow, please be patient .

    [1] What are Tabs? : http://www.tecneeq.de/tabs/
    [2] XFCE Desktop Enviroment: http://www.xfce.org/
    [3] Tabs in XFCE Petition : http://www.petitiononline.com/tab4xfce/

    If you have questions or suggestions feel free to send me a Mail. Thank
    you for your support and time,

    Karsten Kruse

    --
    Homepage, Mac68k, A/UX-Links und Shorties: www.tecneeq.de
    () Linux/NetBSD-Anleitungen, Forum und Chat: www.newbie-net.de

  2. Re: Tabs in XFCE Petition

    Karsten Kruse wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > if you would like to see Tabs[1] in XFCE[2] sign the "Tabs in XFCE"[3]
    > petition. I have heard many times that users would use Tabs, but the
    > XFCE maintainers are against it. Hopefully we can show them with a huge
    > list of signatures that Tabs are a good idea. The petition goes from
    > 1st March to 1st May 2004.
    >
    > Note: This is not the "Peace on Earth and Beer for free"-Petition, we
    > simply want to show that there are a lot users interested in Tabs.
    > Nothing more.
    >
    > Please sign the petition here:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/tab4xfce/petition.html
    >
    > The website is terribly slow, please be patient .
    >
    > [1] What are Tabs? : http://www.tecneeq.de/tabs/
    > [2] XFCE Desktop Enviroment: http://www.xfce.org/
    > [3] Tabs in XFCE Petition : http://www.petitiononline.com/tab4xfce/
    >
    > If you have questions or suggestions feel free to send me a Mail. Thank
    > you for your support and time,
    >
    > Karsten Kruse

    http://www.tecneeq.de/tabs/1077618522-latest.png

    Huh? What has "mplayerinstall.sh - Open" got to do with "ncftp"? Why are
    they grouped together? What happens if a window is covering a window
    tab? Do I have to remember the tabs on those windows I can't see? How do
    I find something on a busy desktop where most of the tabs are covered?

    IMO, looks like "a desktop without windows, in a window" to me.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  3. Re: Tabs in XFCE Petition

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Ben Measures wrote:

    > http://www.tecneeq.de/tabs/1077618522-latest.png

    > Huh? What has "mplayerinstall.sh - Open" got to do with "ncftp"?

    Nothing, they just share the same space in this example. You can put any
    application together. I usually have some ssh-sessions in one Tab and some
    devel-stuff in another.

    > Why are they grouped together?

    Because it's useful to do it. It saves a lot space and makes navigating
    between applications with your mouse shorter and faster. Since i use Tabs
    i don't need virtual desktops anymore (i used them a lot).

    > What happens if a window is covering a window tab?

    You move the window away or stick it to your existing Tabs.

    > Do I have to remember the tabs on those windows I can't see?

    All Tabs are visible in the Titlebar. If the Titlebar is invisible you
    have to remember the content indeed, but the same is true without Tabs.
    One could argue that all applications, tabbed or not, should be visible in
    the taskbar. Fluxbox, in this example, shows only the last application
    viewed in the tab-frame. A matter of taste i guess.

    > How do I find something on a busy desktop where most of the tabs are
    > covered?

    Either you move your applications away or you use the Taskbar. However,
    since you can Tab everything together there are no reasons to have a busy
    desktop anymore. I never lost or forgot something .

    > IMO, looks like "a desktop without windows, in a window" to me.

    One could say so. It's very valuable, if you have the chance to test Tabs,
    do it. But careful, that stuff is addictive .

    Karsten

    --
    Homepage, Mac68k, A/UX-Links und Shorties: www.tecneeq.de
    () Linux/NetBSD-Anleitungen, Forum und Chat: www.newbie-net.de