several x-windows servers sharing DISPLAY - Xwindows

This is a discussion on several x-windows servers sharing DISPLAY - Xwindows ; Dear all, I don't know if this is possible or not ..... My colleague and I have the same user to log into a UNIX server. I have my PC and my colleague has his, both PCs have X-windows server. ...

  1. several x-windows servers sharing DISPLAY

    Dear all,
    I don't know if this is possible or not .....
    My colleague and I have the same user to log into a UNIX server.
    I have my PC and my colleague has his, both PCs have X-windows server.
    Is there a way to set DISPLAY parameter on the UNIX server to make it
    possible that me or my colleague can run X-windows applications on the
    UNIX server without having to change the DISPLAY variable on the UNIX
    server each time?
    Right now, if he wants to run a X-windows application on the UNIX
    server, he changes the value of DISPLAY to point to his machine:0.0,
    and if I want to do the same I change DISPLAY to point to my
    machine:0.0.
    I know that this is possible using SSH with tunneling and X11
    forwarding, but still curious to know if it's possible by manipulating
    the :0.0 part of the DISPLAY value?!
    Thanks for any contribution!
    Regards,
    Mori

  2. Re: several x-windows servers sharing DISPLAY

    t_m_001@yahoo.com (Mori) writes:

    > Dear all,
    > I don't know if this is possible or not .....
    > My colleague and I have the same user to log into a UNIX server.
    > I have my PC and my colleague has his, both PCs have X-windows server.
    > Is there a way to set DISPLAY parameter on the UNIX server to make it
    > possible that me or my colleague can run X-windows applications on the
    > UNIX server without having to change the DISPLAY variable on the UNIX
    > server each time?
    > Right now, if he wants to run a X-windows application on the UNIX
    > server, he changes the value of DISPLAY to point to his machine:0.0,
    > and if I want to do the same I change DISPLAY to point to my
    > machine:0.0.
    > I know that this is possible using SSH with tunneling and X11
    > forwarding, but still curious to know if it's possible by manipulating
    > the :0.0 part of the DISPLAY value?!

    I was beginning to answer your question, but realized I can't without
    knowing what software you are using. How are connecting to the UNIX
    server?

    --
    - Mårten

    mail: msv@kth.se *** ICQ: 4356928 *** mobile: +46 (0)707390385

  3. Re: several x-windows servers sharing DISPLAY

    In comp.windows.x, Mori

    wrote
    on 28 Feb 2004 17:43:31 -0800
    :
    > Dear all,
    > I don't know if this is possible or not .....
    > My colleague and I have the same user to log into a UNIX server.

    Not sure how bright an idea that is, but that's beyond the
    scope of this particular question. :-)

    > I have my PC and my colleague has his, both PCs have X-windows server.
    > Is there a way to set DISPLAY parameter on the UNIX server to make it
    > possible that me or my colleague can run X-windows applications on the
    > UNIX server without having to change the DISPLAY variable on the UNIX
    > server each time?

    You might want to look into XDMCP. Basically, that makes your
    PC into an X terminal, and you can log into the server and
    make it look as though you're logged in locally.

    (The drawback: you'll be spewing packets around insecurely. For
    small networks, that's only a small problem. For big networks... :-) )

    Alternatively, ssh supports transparent tunnelling. If you have
    things properly set up and /etc/ssh/sshd_config has X11Forwarding
    set to 'yes', you can do

    $ ssh -X remoteHost

    and it will authenticate you (possibly by using a password or passphrase),
    and then provide a transparent tunnel. (One can run a simple program
    such as 'xeyes' to test this tunnel if need be.)

    This option is more secure if the server is on a relatively open
    LAN, or on the Internet.

    > Right now, if he wants to run a X-windows application on the UNIX
    > server, he changes the value of DISPLAY to point to his machine:0.0,
    > and if I want to do the same I change DISPLAY to point to my
    > machine:0.0.
    > I know that this is possible using SSH with tunneling and X11
    > forwarding, but still curious to know if it's possible by manipulating
    > the :0.0 part of the DISPLAY value?!

    If both you and your colleague are logged in and using SSH tunnelling,
    and you happened to get there first, you'd automatically have your
    DISPLAY environment variable set to localhost:10.0 (unless you've
    changed the setting for X11DisplayOffset for some reason), and
    your colleague will get localhost:11.0, for your respective remote
    shells. Should you log into the machine again, you'd then get
    localhost:12.0 for that particular shell.

    Any packets forwarded to port 6010, 6011, or 6012 respectively are
    proxied by sshd to your local ssh, and onward to your local X server.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  4. Re: several x-windows servers sharing DISPLAY

    Hi Mårten/Ghost!
    Thnx for the replies.

    > Not sure how bright an idea that is, but that's beyond the
    > scope of this particular question. :-)

    Had to do it like this coz the UNIX sever is an Oracle Server and all
    Oracle files/mounts are owned by "oracle" user. So to maintain Oracle,
    one needs to log as oracle. And we both share this task.

    Good tip regarding XDMCP, I'll have to look further into it, but this
    gives me the beginning of the thread I was looking for to get
    starting.

    > I was beginning to answer your question, but realized I can't without
    > knowing what software you are using. How are connecting to the UNIX
    > server?

    X-windows client & server: X-Win32 5.4
    SSH client: Putty 0.53b

    Cheers,
    Mori

  5. Re: several x-windows servers sharing DISPLAY

    Mori wrote:
    > Hi Mårten/Ghost!
    > Thnx for the replies.
    >

    >>Not sure how bright an idea that is, but that's beyond the
    >>scope of this particular question. :-)

    > Had to do it like this coz the UNIX sever is an Oracle Server and all
    > Oracle files/mounts are owned by "oracle" user. So to maintain Oracle,
    > one needs to log as oracle. And we both share this task.

    So you can have a two stage login. You login as yourself and establish
    your session and then use an xterm to login as the oracle admin. You
    could also use tools like sudo to enable your user to run oracle admin
    commands without an explicit login.

    -- ced

    --
    Chuck Dillon
    Senior Software Engineer

  6. Re: several x-windows servers sharing DISPLAY

    Mori wrote:

    > X-windows client & server: X-Win32 5.4
    > SSH client: Putty 0.53b

    I'm not sure about Putty, but shouldn't it set up X11 forwarding (If your
    server "supports" this) automatically.

    Otherwise, you could try this:

    set TTY=`tty|sed -e 's#/dev/##'`' '
    setenv DISPLAY `who|grep $TTY|cut -f2 -d"("|sed -e 's/)//'`:0.0

    -Frode

    --
    ^ Frode Tennebø | email: Frode.Tennebo@ericsson.com ^
    | Ericsson AS., N-1788 Halden | Phone: +47 67 25 09 39 |

+ Reply to Thread