Trouble with XView - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Trouble with XView - Xwindows ; I am attempting to run a particular X program (Silvaco Deckbuild) from a remote Solaris server. I can log in with the usual "ssh -X ..." and successfully run xterm and xclock via X11 tunneling. Attempting to run Deckbuild, however, ...

  1. Trouble with XView

    I am attempting to run a particular X program (Silvaco Deckbuild) from a
    remote Solaris server. I can log in with the usual "ssh -X ..." and
    successfully run xterm and xclock via X11 tunneling. Attempting to run
    Deckbuild, however, results in a "XView Error: NULL pointer passed to
    xv_set()" I have only successfully gotten it to run using X-Win32 as my
    Xserver. I have tried using Knoppix 3.1 and Cygwin (dll ver 1.5.7-1) over
    win2k.

    Can this be made to work? Any help would be vastly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Jamie Schnapp

  2. Re: Trouble with XView

    "Jamie Schnapp" wrote in message news:...
    > I am attempting to run a particular X program (Silvaco Deckbuild) from a
    > remote Solaris server. I can log in with the usual "ssh -X ..." and
    > successfully run xterm and xclock via X11 tunneling. Attempting to run
    > Deckbuild, however, results in a "XView Error: NULL pointer passed to
    > xv_set()" I have only successfully gotten it to run using X-Win32 as my
    > Xserver. I have tried using Knoppix 3.1 and Cygwin (dll ver 1.5.7-1) over
    > win2k.
    >
    > Can this be made to work? Any help would be vastly appreciated.

    I don't know Silvaco Deckbuild so I'm guessing here, but perhaps Deckbuild
    or XView need some extension or visual that is not available in your X
    server. Run xdpyinfo whith each server and compare the outputs.

    I hope it helps.

    --- Casantos

  3. Re: Trouble with XView

    I compared the local and remote xdpyinfo output and found the only
    difference to be the focus value (remote=0x40000007, local=0x2000008 or
    something similar). Is this the cause of the problem? If so, can it be
    changed? Thanks very much.

    Regards,
    Jamie Schnapp

    news:94bfb09f.0402270359.252f2fbb@posting.google.c om...

    > > I am attempting to run a particular X program (Silvaco Deckbuild) from a
    > > remote Solaris server. I can log in with the usual "ssh -X ..." and
    > > successfully run xterm and xclock via X11 tunneling. Attempting to run
    > > Deckbuild, however, results in a "XView Error: NULL pointer passed to
    > > xv_set()" I have only successfully gotten it to run using X-Win32 as my
    > > Xserver. I have tried using Knoppix 3.1 and Cygwin (dll ver 1.5.7-1)

    over
    > > win2k.
    > >
    > > Can this be made to work? Any help would be vastly appreciated.

    > I don't know Silvaco Deckbuild so I'm guessing here, but perhaps Deckbuild
    > or XView need some extension or visual that is not available in your X
    > server. Run xdpyinfo whith each server and compare the outputs.
    >
    > I hope it helps.
    >
    > --- Casantos

  4. Re: Trouble with XView

    "Jamie Schnapp" wrote in message news:...
    > I compared the local and remote xdpyinfo output and found the only
    > difference to be the focus value (remote=0x40000007, local=0x2000008 or
    > something similar). Is this the cause of the problem?

    Certainly not. "focus" is the number of the current focused window, in
    hexadecimal notation. This case it is the terminal you use. If you run
    xterm, issue the command

    printf '%x\n' `echo $WINDOWID`

    at the shell prompt an you will see the same value.

    I'm stuck here. Any XView expert available? :-(

    --- Casantos

+ Reply to Thread