compose oddity - Xwindows

This is a discussion on compose oddity - Xwindows ; sorry if this is a FAQ, couldn't find an answer anywhere. I have successfully configured my right control key as compose key, and can compose most accented chars successfully. The strange thing is, I cannot compose oacute. - the problem ...

  1. compose oddity

    sorry if this is a FAQ, couldn't find an answer anywhere.

    I have successfully configured my right control key as compose key, and can
    compose most accented chars successfully.

    The strange thing is, I cannot compose oacute.

    - the problem shows in xterm, oowriter, konsole and every kde app.
    it /doesn't/ show on gnome programs (gnome-terminal etc) for some reason.
    - aacute, eacute, iacute, uacute are fine, as is Oacute, ograve and of
    course plain 'o' etc. Just the little 'o' with acute accent is failing.
    - I can cut&paste the accented 'o' just fine.
    - as it shows even with a .xinitrc consisting in just "xterm" I've figured
    out it's not fault of some random program grabbing the input or something.
    - the output of 'dumpkeys' contains the line "compose '\'' 'o' to 'รณ"
    - composing goes like this: seems to do nothing. A following
    'o' seems to get ignored also, and then the compose sequence seems to be
    finished and I can input any normal char.

    Can someone point me what else should I test, or look at? (RTFM would be
    fine with a precise reference). If some more information is missing please
    just ask.

    Thanks in advance, Alfredo

    ------------------------- xmodmap command
    keycode 109 = Multi_key
    ------------------------- X version
    $ X -version

    XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Red Hat Linux 9 release: 4.3.0-2.90.55)
    Release Date: 15 August 2003
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6

    ------------------------- kbd-related part of /etc/X11/XF86Config
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

  2. Re: compose oddity

    Alfredo Braunstein wrote:

    > - composing goes like this: seems to do nothing. A following

    I meant: <'> etc.

    Alfredo

+ Reply to Thread