Excuse Me? Did I Miss Something? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Excuse Me? Did I Miss Something? - Xwindows ; I came across the following statement from Keith Packard. and was confused by it. I thought that there has always been a canonical X that was governed by the X consortium (now under the umbrella of the Open Group). What ...

  1. Excuse Me? Did I Miss Something?

    I came across the following statement from Keith Packard. and was
    confused by it. I thought that there has always been a canonical
    X that was governed by the X consortium (now under the umbrella of
    the Open Group). What is he saying? Is he trying to engage in
    some advanced PR and setting the stage for a coup (via freedesktop.org)?

    > FOSDEM - What have been the major changes in the last version of X, and is
    > there any fundamental change that will appear in the next major release ?
    >
    > Keith Packard - That's actually a difficult question to answer as there is no
    > canonical version of X. I'm currently working with Freedesktop.org which has
    > development versions for an X server and the major X libraries available in
    > CVS, but hasn't made any kind of release.

  2. Re: Excuse Me? Did I Miss Something?

    wilson_kenton@hotmail.com (Use) writes in comp.windows.x:
    |I came across the following statement from Keith Packard. and was
    |confused by it. I thought that there has always been a canonical
    |X that was governed by the X consortium (now under the umbrella of
    |the Open Group). What is he saying? Is he trying to engage in
    |some advanced PR and setting the stage for a coup (via freedesktop.org)?

    I would presume that he is pointing out that there is no one single
    branch of X that everyone ships. Almost everyone ships a version based
    on the original X consortium server, but with different changes. Most
    Linux & BSD distros ship one based on XFree86, but many have announced
    they will not continue to update to new XFree86 versions due to the
    license change. Keith has been one of the participants in transforming
    X.org (the group that has been managing X for the Open Group for the
    last few years) into the X.org Foundation with the goal of revitalizing
    and opening up the original X distribution.

    Alan Coopersmith alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
    http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM

  3. Re: Excuse Me? Did I Miss Something?

    Alan Coopersmith wrote in message news:...
    > wilson_kenton@hotmail.com (Use) writes in comp.windows.x:
    > |I came across the following statement from Keith Packard. and was
    > |confused by it. I thought that there has always been a canonical
    > |X that was governed by the X consortium (now under the umbrella of
    > |the Open Group). What is he saying? Is he trying to engage in
    > |some advanced PR and setting the stage for a coup (via freedesktop.org)?
    >
    > I would presume that he is pointing out that there is no one single
    > branch of X that everyone ships. Almost everyone ships a version based
    > on the original X consortium server, but with different changes. Most
    > Linux & BSD distros ship one based on XFree86, but many have announced
    > they will not continue to update to new XFree86 versions due to the
    > license change. Keith has been one of the participants in transforming
    > X.org (the group that has been managing X for the Open Group for the
    > last few years) into the X.org Foundation with the goal of revitalizing
    > and opening up the original X distribution.

    Thanks for the info...

+ Reply to Thread