Excuse Me? Did I Miss Something? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Excuse Me? Did I Miss Something? - Xwindows ; I came across the following statement from Keith Packard. and was confused by it. I thought that there has always been a canonical X that was governed by the X consortium (now under the umbrella of the Open Group). What ...

  1. Excuse Me? Did I Miss Something?

    I came across the following statement from Keith Packard. and was
    confused by it. I thought that there has always been a canonical
    X that was governed by the X consortium (now under the umbrella of
    the Open Group). What is he saying? Is he trying to engage in
    some advanced PR and setting the stage for a coup (via freedesktop.org)?

    > FOSDEM - What have been the major changes in the last version of X, and is
    > there any fundamental change that will appear in the next major release ?
    >
    > Keith Packard - That's actually a difficult question to answer as there is no
    > canonical version of X. I'm currently working with Freedesktop.org which has
    > development versions for an X server and the major X libraries available in
    > CVS, but hasn't made any kind of release.

  2. Re: Excuse Me? Did I Miss Something?

    wilson_kenton@hotmail.com (Use) wrote in message news:<693a8ffd.0402201649.fe384f8@posting.google.com>...
    > I came across the following statement from Keith Packard. and was
    > confused by it. I thought that there has always been a canonical
    > X that was governed by the X consortium (now under the umbrella of
    > the Open Group). What is he saying? Is he trying to engage in
    > some advanced PR and setting the stage for a coup (via freedesktop.org)?
    >

    > > FOSDEM - What have been the major changes in the last version of X, and is
    > > there any fundamental change that will appear in the next major release ?
    > >
    > > Keith Packard - That's actually a difficult question to answer as there is no
    > > canonical version of X. I'm currently working with Freedesktop.org which has
    > > development versions for an X server and the major X libraries available in
    > > CVS, but hasn't made any kind of release.

    Hmmm, well I guess there was a coup in the making and its occurred.

    http://www.x.org/XOrg_Foundation.html
    http://www.x.org/XOrg_Foundation_Board.html
    http://www.x.org/XOrg_Foundation_22Jan04.pdf

    Well, I don't think that this bodes well for X. I have a lot of confidence
    in Keith Packard but I don't have mucn confidence in the Linux/GPL community
    (which appears poised to control X). I'm sure the next thing to occur will be
    the demand to place X under a GPL license which will leave the BSD community
    in a bad position.

  3. Re: Excuse Me? Did I Miss Something?

    Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when wilson_kenton@hotmail.com (Use) wrote:
    > Hmmm, well I guess there was a coup in the making and its occurred.
    >
    > http://www.x.org/XOrg_Foundation.html
    > http://www.x.org/XOrg_Foundation_Board.html
    > http://www.x.org/XOrg_Foundation_22Jan04.pdf
    >
    > Well, I don't think that this bodes well for X. I have a lot of
    > confidence in Keith Packard but I don't have mucn confidence in the
    > Linux/GPL community (which appears poised to control X). I'm sure
    > the next thing to occur will be the demand to place X under a GPL
    > license which will leave the BSD community in a bad position.

    Well, keep in mind that there has also been something of a "coup" at
    the XFree86 project.

    And that has led to licensing changes that appear to be leading to
    both the Debian and OpenBSD projects rejecting subsequent XFree86
    software releases as being not "free enough" to include in their
    systems.

    Which is an interesting contrast with the XFree86 claims that their
    new license is "fully free."

    It does not require taking sides to find the divergence of positions
    "interesting"...
    --
    output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/x.html