Typing ASCII characters using Alt - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Typing ASCII characters using Alt - Xwindows ; Hello everyone, I use to be able to type ASCII characters by using the + keys. I don't know what suddenly happened that prevents me to do it anymore. Could someone please help me recover it. I appreciate any help ...

  1. Typing ASCII characters using Alt

    Hello everyone,

    I use to be able to type ASCII characters by using the +
    keys. I don't know what suddenly happened that
    prevents me to do it anymore.

    Could someone please help me recover it. I appreciate any help you can
    provide me and thank you in advance.

    Geo

  2. Re: Typing ASCII characters using Alt

    Geo wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I use to be able to type ASCII characters by using the +
    > keys. I don't know what suddenly happened that
    > prevents me to do it anymore.
    >
    > Could someone please help me recover it. I appreciate any help you can
    > provide me and thank you in advance.

    What is your keybinding for the ALT key?

  3. Re: Typing ASCII characters using Alt

    In article <5cb65c5a.0402180924.2d9d03bd@posting.google.com>,
    ckarakiro@hotmail.com (Geo) writes:
    >Hello everyone,
    >
    >I use to be able to type ASCII characters by using the +
    > keys. I don't know what suddenly happened that
    >prevents me to do it anymore.
    >
    >Could someone please help me recover it. I appreciate any help you can
    >provide me and thank you in advance.

    You probably want some Microsoft Windows newsgroup, not the X Window System
    newsgroup, which this is.

    --
    Brian V. Smith (bXvsmith@lbl.gov) (remove the X to send me email)
    Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

  4. Re: Typing ASCII characters using Alt

    Lew Pitcher wrote in message news:...
    > Geo wrote:
    >
    > > Hello everyone,
    > >
    > > I use to be able to type ASCII characters by using the +
    > > keys. I don't know what suddenly happened that
    > > prevents me to do it anymore.
    > >
    > > Could someone please help me recover it. I appreciate any help you can
    > > provide me and thank you in advance.

    > What is your keybinding for the ALT key?

    Thank you Lew for your response. How could I check my keybinding for the Alt key?

    Geo

  5. Re: Typing ASCII characters using Alt

    Geo wrote:
    > Lew Pitcher wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>Geo wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hello everyone,
    >>>
    >>>I use to be able to type ASCII characters by using the +
    >>> keys. I don't know what suddenly happened that
    >>>prevents me to do it anymore.
    >>>
    >>>Could someone please help me recover it. I appreciate any help you can
    >>>provide me and thank you in advance.

    >>What is your keybinding for the ALT key?

    > Thank you Lew for your response. How could I check my keybinding for the Alt key?

    Run the xev command, give the xev window focus, and press the left alt key. You
    should see a keybinding line in your command window that will look something like...

    KeyPress event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1a00001,
    root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 19951306, (109,2), root700,108),
    state 0x0, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: ""

    KeyRelease event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1a00001,
    root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 19951572, (109,2), root700,108),
    state 0x8, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: ""

    the right alt key should show similar.

  6. Re: Typing ASCII characters using Alt

    Lew,

    Thanks again for your help. I'm sorry but I don't know what is the xev
    command. I tried to type 'xev' in the Start-Run-Open of Windows XP and
    it couldn't be found. I also tried to enter it in a Command Prompt
    window and I got a non-recognized command error.

    I guess I asked my question in the bad group. I am not using XWindows.
    However, if you can still help me with any suggestion, I really do
    appreciate it.

    Thanks,

    Geo

    Lew Pitcher wrote in message news:...

    > Run the xev command, give the xev window focus, and press the left alt key. You
    > should see a keybinding line in your command window that will look something like...
    >

    > KeyPress event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1a00001,
    > root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 19951306, (109,2), root700,108),
    > state 0x0, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    > XLookupString gives 0 bytes: ""
    >
    > KeyRelease event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1a00001,
    > root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 19951572, (109,2), root700,108),
    > state 0x8, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    > XLookupString gives 0 bytes: ""
    >
    > the right alt key should show similar.

  7. Re: Typing ASCII characters using Alt

    Geo wrote:
    > Lew,
    >
    > Thanks again for your help. I'm sorry but I don't know what is the xev
    > command. I tried to type 'xev' in the Start-Run-Open of Windows XP

    [snip]

    Well, that explains it. You've got the wrong newsgroup. Your question was
    ambigious enough to just be on topic for comp.windows.x, but with this
    additional information, I can now see that your problem isn't solvable here.

    You see, the comp.windows.x newsgroup takes as it's topic the X network
    protocol, and the graphical windowing environments that use it. The newsgroup
    has nothing to do with Microsoft Windows except for discussing X implementations
    on that platform.

    Your problem has nothing to do with X, and cannot be addressed in this
    newsgroup. You probably should repost your problem to one of the
    comp.os.ms-windows.* newsgroups for assistance.

    Sorry,

  8. Re: Typing ASCII characters using Alt

    In comp.windows.x, Geo

    wrote
    on 22 Feb 2004 07:53:59 -0800
    <5cb65c5a.0402220753.352c5e53@posting.google.com>:
    > Lew,
    >
    > Thanks again for your help. I'm sorry but I don't know what is the xev
    > command. I tried to type 'xev' in the Start-Run-Open of Windows XP and
    > it couldn't be found. I also tried to enter it in a Command Prompt
    > window and I got a non-recognized command error.
    >
    > I guess I asked my question in the bad group. I am not using XWindows.
    > However, if you can still help me with any suggestion, I really do
    > appreciate it.

    Unless you're running Cygwin/XFree86, you're definitely in the
    wrong group. :-) But good luck. :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

+ Reply to Thread