Dialog appears behind overridden shell - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Dialog appears behind overridden shell - Xwindows ; I am writing an Xt application where the class for the main widget is overrideShellWidgetClass. I also create a menu of class simpleMenuWidgetClass that appears over the top of the main widget when the user right click on that window. ...

  1. Dialog appears behind overridden shell

    I am writing an Xt application where the class for the main widget is
    overrideShellWidgetClass.

    I also create a menu of class simpleMenuWidgetClass that appears over
    the top of the main widget when the user right click on that window.

    If the user selects the proper menu item, the application tries to
    display a dialog window. The class I'm using for the dialog is
    transientShellWidgetClass, and for some reason the dialog always
    appears underneath the main widget instead of in front of it.

    What can I do to get the dialog to appear in front of the main window?

  2. Re: Dialog appears behind overridden shell

    Tron Thomas wrote:

    > I am writing an Xt application where the class for the main widget is
    > overrideShellWidgetClass.
    >
    > I also create a menu of class simpleMenuWidgetClass that appears over
    > the top of the main widget when the user right click on that window.
    >
    > If the user selects the proper menu item, the application tries to
    > display a dialog window. The class I'm using for the dialog is
    > transientShellWidgetClass, and for some reason the dialog always
    > appears underneath the main widget instead of in front of it.
    >
    > What can I do to get the dialog to appear in front of the main window?

    Your main shell should not be an OverrideShell; the OverrideShell is
    usually used as the shell holding menus popped up over another shell.
    Your main program should use a TopLevelShell.

    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  3. Re: Dialog appears behind overridden shell

    "Fred L. Kleinschmidt" wrote in message news:<402A4453.2156927B@nospam_boeing.com>...
    > Your main shell should not be an OverrideShell; the OverrideShell is
    > usually used as the shell holding menus popped up over another shell.
    > Your main program should use a TopLevelShell.

    My main window wants to override the window manager and not allow it
    to draw any controls around the window. If there is another way to
    accomplish that besides using an OverrideShell, please let me know.

    Otherwise, I need to know how I can force the dialog box to appear in
    front of the window.

+ Reply to Thread