vi clones... - Xwindows

This is a discussion on vi clones... - Xwindows ; Is vim the only vi clone? If you think that you are wrong. vim sucks... Why is it that everyone is so overwhelmed with it? Why don't you try clones like Elvis? Out of all the clones I've tried Elvis ...

  1. vi clones...

    Is vim the only vi clone?
    If you think that you are wrong.
    vim sucks...
    Why is it that everyone is so overwhelmed with it?

    Why don't you try clones like Elvis?
    Out of all the clones I've tried Elvis is the most efficient one.
    I hope everyone has heard of it.
    If you use Elvis once you will never use vim or any
    other clone again, I bet!
    Why don't you give it a try?

    You can also ftp on 63.105.22.161 to find a few great files.

  2. Re: vi clones...

    Hi anon!

    On 02 Feb 04 at 18:39, "anon" (anon ) wrote:
    anon> Out of all the clones I've
    anon> tried Elvis is the most efficient one.

    Can you please elaborate on the efficiency issues, with comparison
    charts, if possible?

    --
    Sincerely,
    Dmitry

    --- www.karasik.eu.org ---

    He who dies with most the toys wins

  3. Re: vi clones...

    anon@anon.anon wrote:
    > Is vim the only vi clone?
    > If you think that you are wrong.
    > vim sucks...
    > Why is it that everyone is so overwhelmed with it?
    > Why don't you try clones like Elvis?

    What's wrong with vi?

    > Out of all the clones I've tried Elvis is the most efficient one.

    Well, the elvis binary is 60KB larger.

    > I hope everyone has heard of it.
    > If you use Elvis once you will never use vim or any
    > other clone again, I bet!
    >
    > Why don't you give it a try?

    I've tried it. It was fine. But I still use vi.

    Here's the problem, which isn't any real fault of elvis. Suppose you've
    just installed linux on a new box. If it takes an extra five minutes to
    download and compile elvis and vi is already there, it just isn't worth
    it if all you want to do is edit a few configuration files.

    If elvis were installed by defalut, as I hear it is on Slackware, I'd
    have no problem using it.

  4. Re: vi clones...

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:39:01 -0800, ano wrote:

    > Is vim the only vi clone?
    > If you think that you are wrong.
    > vim sucks...
    > Why is it that everyone is so overwhelmed with it?
    >
    > Why don't you try clones like Elvis?
    > Out of all the clones I've tried Elvis is the most efficient one.
    > I hope everyone has heard of it.
    > If you use Elvis once you will never use vim or any
    > other clone again, I bet!
    > Why don't you give it a try?
    >

    > You can also ftp on 63.105.22.161 to find a few great files.

    When I have my GUI available, my first choice is nedit. Apart from that, I
    occasionaly have to edit /etc/inittab or maybe /etc/X11/XF86Config, so I
    use vi - have one of the cheatsheet mugs if I ever need it, but usually
    needs are quite simple.

  5. Re: vi clones...

    In <20040202174647.EE4107E96@toxic.dizum.net>, on 02/02/2004
    at 09:39 AM, anon@anon.anon said:

    >Is vim the only vi clone?
    >If you think that you are wrong.

    WRU?

    There may be people who don't know what vim is. I've never met anybody
    that knew what vim was and didn't know that there are other vi clones.
    YMMV.

    >Out of all the clones I've tried Elvis is the most efficient one. I
    >hope everyone has heard of it.

    If you're trying to tout it, wouldn't you do better explaining what
    you like about it and comparing it to each of the alternatives? I see
    nothing in your article that would convince anybody to look at Elvis.

    Unsolicited bulk E-mail will be subject to legal action. I reserve
    the right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.

    Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me. Do
    not reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  6. Re: vi clones...

    One advantage of using vi above all else is that it is sometimes the
    only editor to get you out of trouble.
    I am reminded of the busy morning in the dealing room of a Japanese
    bank. The news feeds were down and the fx traders were getting very
    ugly. The Reuters 'engineer' emerged from the machine room to ask if
    'anyone knows how to do a global replace in vi', and up I stepped.
    In the real world these things do happen.

+ Reply to Thread