stealing 3rd mouse button events? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on stealing 3rd mouse button events? - Xwindows ; Hi all, I'm in the process of writing a window manager, and want to ask X users whether they make much use of the 3rd mouse button. I know it's the old standard way of pasting in X apps, but ...

  1. stealing 3rd mouse button events?

    Hi all,

    I'm in the process of writing a window manager, and want to ask X
    users whether they make much use of the 3rd mouse button. I know it's
    the old standard way of pasting in X apps, but I've been using X on
    Linux for years with only 2 mouse buttons and never missed it.

    The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of making the window manager
    steal 3rd mouse button events for itself so that client windows never
    recieve them. I'll probably make the mouse button used configurable
    (for users with many mouse buttons), and allow a modifier key to be
    used as well (so shift + left mouse button could be used). The default
    however will probably be for it to use the 3rd mouse button.

    Is this acceptable? Would you use a window manager that stopped the
    3rd mouse button working in applications?

  2. Re: stealing 3rd mouse button events?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    On 31 Jan 2004 17:32:25 -0800, winmancoder staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > I'm in the process of writing a window manager, and want to ask X
    > users whether they make much use of the 3rd mouse button.

    All the time. How else do you think we get right-click context menu
    operations in our file managers/browsers/whatever?

    > I know it's the old standard way of pasting in X apps, but

    Oh, you meant "do you make much use of mouse button 2?" X calls this
    button "button 2"; your window manager (and you) should call it button 2
    for consistency's sake since every other window manager/X app does that.

    > The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of making the window manager
    > steal 3rd mouse button events for itself so that client windows never
    > recieve them.

    Bad idea in general; there are some applications out there (notably
    anything using Athena-widget scrollbars, like vncviewer and xterm) where
    things don't quite work right unless the application can receive button
    2 events.

    > I'll probably make the mouse button used configurable (for users with
    > many mouse buttons), and allow a modifier key to be used as well (so
    > shift + left mouse button could be used). The default however will
    > probably be for it to use the 3rd mouse button.

    That's probably OK, just make sure you make it so that the user can pass
    button 2 events to an app in an easy way if necessary.

    > Would you use a window manager that stopped the 3rd mouse button
    > working in applications?

    Hell no. If it stopped button 2 from working, I'd still be reluctant to
    use it, since I've learned to use the select-text-to-copy/button-2-to-
    paste behavior to my advantage. (And I like KDE's window manager.) But
    that's just me....

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: stealing 3rd mouse button events?

    Dances With Crows wrote in message news:...
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    > On 31 Jan 2004 17:32:25 -0800, winmancoder staggered into the Black Sun
    > and said:
    > > I'm in the process of writing a window manager, and want to ask X
    > > users whether they make much use of the 3rd mouse button.

    > All the time. How else do you think we get right-click context menu
    > operations in our file managers/browsers/whatever?
    >
    > > I know it's the old standard way of pasting in X apps, but

    > Oh, you meant "do you make much use of mouse button 2?" X calls this
    > button "button 2"; your window manager (and you) should call it button 2
    > for consistency's sake since every other window manager/X app does that.

    Ahh yes you're quite right. Looking at my code, I can see that it's
    defined as "Button2". I guess that's what happens when you use a 2
    buttoned mouse all the time. My bad.

+ Reply to Thread