Can I still improve fonts display ? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Can I still improve fonts display ? - Xwindows ; Hi, I've spent the whole week tweaking my PC to display nicer fonts, reading available tutorials. Still, I'm not 100% happy with the way the fonts look on my screen. I think I've done what I should, installed TTF, edited ...

  1. Can I still improve fonts display ?

    Hi,

    I've spent the whole week tweaking my PC to display nicer fonts, reading available tutorials.
    Still, I'm not 100% happy with the way the fonts look on my screen.
    I think I've done what I should, installed TTF, edited necessary files, configured Mozilla, etc...
    Could you have a look at it and tell me if I can still improve legibility?
    http://www.landemaine.com/Screenshot.png
    Thanks,
    --

    Charles.

  2. Re: Can I still improve fonts display ?

    in message ,
    wrote Charles ...

    > I've spent the whole week tweaking my PC to display nicer fonts,
    > reading available tutorials. Still, I'm not 100% happy with the way
    > the fonts look on my screen. I think I've done what I should,
    > installed TTF, edited necessary files, configured Mozilla, etc...

    Done that more than twice, in past.

    > Could you have a look at it and tell me if I can still improve
    > legibility?
    > http://www.landemaine.com/Screenshot.png

    Did you try turning off anti aliasing?

    So far in all the screenshots that i have seen & w.r.t. my own
    experience, I find anti aliased fonts to be fuzzy enough to avoid anti
    aliasing.

    (I use FVWM 2.5.x on FreeBSD 4.x w/ XFree86 4.2.0.)

    - parv

    --
    In order to reach me, do away w/ WhereElse in the address.

  3. Re: Can I still improve fonts display ?

    On 2004-01-26, Charles wrote:
    > I've spent the whole week tweaking my PC to display nicer fonts, reading available tutorials.
    > Still, I'm not 100% happy with the way the fonts look on my screen.
    > I think I've done what I should, installed TTF, edited necessary files, configured Mozilla, etc...
    > Could you have a look at it and tell me if I can still improve legibility?

    Forget about FreeType, pango, Qt, Anti-Aliasing, TTF's, and XFT. Don't
    drink the new font punch! God gave us Core Fonts 20 years ago and I'll
    change when they pry them from my cold dead hands.

    http://poplar.seitz.com/~ross/desktop.png

    Nothing beats old skool fonts for readability and screen space usage.
    Unless you like everything looking like it was rendered in *BOLDFACE*...
    ::shudder::

    --
    Ross Vandegrift
    ross@willow.seitz.com

    A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
    He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
    He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
    He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
    He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
    He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
    Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.

  4. Re: Can I still improve fonts display ?

    in message ,
    wrote Ross Vandegrift ...

    > Forget about FreeType, pango, Qt, Anti-Aliasing, TTF's, and XFT.
    > Don't drink the new font punch! God gave us Core Fonts 20 years
    > ago and I'll change when they pry them from my cold dead hands.
    >
    > http://poplar.seitz.com/~ross/desktop.png

    Hey, nice font in the xterm. And nice news reader too.

    I find "bitstream vera serif" (Georgia like) font to be much easier
    on the eye than Times.

    - parv

    --
    In order to reach me, do away w/ WhereElse in the address.

  5. Re: Can I still improve fonts display ?

    Thanks! Actually, I'll leave the AA except for several fonts (Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, Tahoma) for
    sizes between 10 and 12. If I unset the AA for the rest, the fonts look dirty.

    --

    Charles.

    "Ross Vandegrift" escreveu na mensagem
    news:slrnc196b9.7pg.ross@turalyon.azeroth.seitz.co m...
    :
    : Forget about FreeType, pango, Qt, Anti-Aliasing, TTF's, and XFT. Don't
    : drink the new font punch! God gave us Core Fonts 20 years ago and I'll
    : change when they pry them from my cold dead hands.
    :
    : http://poplar.seitz.com/~ross/desktop.png
    :
    : Nothing beats old skool fonts for readability and screen space usage.
    : Unless you like everything looking like it was rendered in *BOLDFACE*...
    : ::shudder::

+ Reply to Thread