Session on foreign machine - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Session on foreign machine - Xwindows ; I have a RedHat 9 system, with "normal" consoles on F1..F6, and virtual tty devices /dev/tty7 through /dev/tty31 defined. (I cannot switch to devices 10 through 12 by pressing though, and how one would access the others that are set ...

  1. Session on foreign machine

    I have a RedHat 9 system, with "normal" consoles on F1..F6, and
    virtual tty devices /dev/tty7 through /dev/tty31 defined. (I cannot
    switch to devices 10 through 12 by pressing
    though, and how one would access the others that are set up is also a
    mystery.)

    In any event, I wanted to run a session on another machine, so I
    logged on in the usual manner, and started XFree86 with the command:

    XFree86 :1 -auth $XAUTHORITY vt9 &

    Next, I connected to the remote machine with

    DISPLAY=:1.0 ssh -X ... other-host /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

    which is what startx runs as the "client" on a local system. This had
    the desired effect of starting a session on tty9 (accessible via
    that behaved, for all intents and purposes as though I
    sitting in front of that machine, albeit slower.

    However, when I logged out, my X process failed to exit. Moreover,
    although it still shows up in my local bash job listing, ps shows it
    as now owned by root! Logging in as root and killing it doesn't cause
    ownership of the device to revert to root again, either.

    Can someone explain what is going on here? And if this is a stupid
    way to go about it, suggest a better way!

    Thanks in advance.

    Cheers!
    - Jerry Oberle
    perl -e 'printf "%silto%cgo%cerle%cearth%snet%c", "ma", 58, 98, 64,
    "link.", 10;'

  2. Re: Session on foreign machine

    Gerard Oberle wrote:
    >I have a RedHat 9 system, with "normal" consoles on F1..F6, and
    >virtual tty devices /dev/tty7 through /dev/tty31 defined. (I cannot
    >switch to devices 10 through 12 by pressing
    >though, and how one would access the others that are set up is also a
    >mystery.)
    >
    >In any event, I wanted to run a session on another machine, so I
    >logged on in the usual manner, and started XFree86 with the command:
    >
    > XFree86 :1 -auth $XAUTHORITY vt9 &
    >
    >Next, I connected to the remote machine with
    >
    > DISPLAY=:1.0 ssh -X ... other-host /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    >
    >which is what startx runs as the "client" on a local system. This had
    >the desired effect of starting a session on tty9 (accessible via
    > that behaved, for all intents and purposes as though I
    >sitting in front of that machine, albeit slower.
    >
    >However, when I logged out, my X process failed to exit. Moreover,
    >although it still shows up in my local bash job listing, ps shows it
    >as now owned by root! Logging in as root and killing it doesn't cause
    >ownership of the device to revert to root again, either.
    >
    >Can someone explain what is going on here? And if this is a stupid
    >way to go about it, suggest a better way!
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Cheers!
    >- Jerry Oberle
    >perl -e 'printf "%silto%cgo%cerle%cearth%snet%c", "ma", 58, 98, 64,
    >"link.", 10;'

    The usual way to start a local server is with `startx' which is a
    script that invokes `xinit' which in turn starts the X server. It
    is xinit that kills off the server when the client started by xinit
    finishes. You lack the xinit functionality.

    I think the easiest thing to do is to start the server with -once.

+ Reply to Thread