ANNOUNCE: Xpdf 3.00 - a PDF viewer for X - Xwindows

This is a discussion on ANNOUNCE: Xpdf 3.00 - a PDF viewer for X - Xwindows ; Glyph & Cog, LLC is pleased to announce a new version of Xpdf, the open source Portable Document Format (PDF) viewer for X. The Xpdf project also includes a PDF text extractor, PDF-to-PostScript converter, and various other utilities. Xpdf runs ...

  1. ANNOUNCE: Xpdf 3.00 - a PDF viewer for X

    Glyph & Cog, LLC is pleased to announce a new version of Xpdf, the
    open source Portable Document Format (PDF) viewer for X. The Xpdf
    project also includes a PDF text extractor, PDF-to-PostScript
    converter, and various other utilities.

    Xpdf runs under the X Window System on Unix, VMS, and OS/2. The non-X
    components (pdftops, pdftotext, etc.) also run on Win32 systems and
    should run on pretty much any system with a decent C++ compiler.

    Major changes:
    * New PDF rasterizer ("Splash").
    * Added support for PDF 1.5.
    * Replaced pdftopbm with pdftoppm (which can generate PBM, PGM, and PPM
    files).

    See the `CHANGES' file for a complete list of changes.

    Source (C++ and C) is available, and it should be fairly easy to
    compile for UNIX, VMS, OS/2, and Win32.

    More information, source code, and precompiled binaries are on the
    xpdf web page and ftp site:

    http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/
    ftp://ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/

    For information on commercial licensing and consulting, please see the
    Glyph & Cog web site:

    http://www.glyphandcog.com/

  2. Re: ANNOUNCE: Xpdf 3.00 - a PDF viewer for X

    In article ,
    derekn@glyphandcog.com (Derek B. Noonburg) writes:

    I get core dumps on FreeBSD. Some Googling around seems to indicate
    that this may be due to the FreeType2 library. I'm trying to verify
    this by building xpdf without FreeType2 support by using

    ./configure --without-freetype2-library

    but the script then disables X support entirely. What am I missing?

    Thanks,
    Dave

    --

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

  3. Re: ANNOUNCE: Xpdf 3.00 - a PDF viewer for X

    In article <4013d28b$0$41295$a1866201@newsreader.visi.com>, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
    > I get core dumps on FreeBSD. Some Googling around seems to indicate
    > that this may be due to the FreeType2 library. I'm trying to verify
    > this by building xpdf without FreeType2 support by using
    >
    > ./configure --without-freetype2-library
    >
    > but the script then disables X support entirely. What am I missing?

    As of version 3.00, Xpdf requires FreeType 2. As several people have
    pointed out, the error reported by the configure script is inaccurate
    -- it should mention FT2 in addition to X and Motif.

    (You can still build the command line tools -- pdftotext, pdftops,
    etc. -- without X / Motif / FreeType, of course.)

    - Derek

+ Reply to Thread