What ever happened to the X Window System? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on What ever happened to the X Window System? - Xwindows ; For some reason, from what I can tell at http://www.x.org/ , after April 2001, updates to the X Window System stopped. Did responsiblity for the code move elsewhere? -- http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > In God we trust. Even if explicitly stated to ...

  1. What ever happened to the X Window System?

    --
    http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > In God we trust.
    http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ >

  2. Re: What ever happened to the X Window System?

    On 22 Jan 2004 20:42:39 GMT, lvirden@yahoo.com wrote:

    >For some reason, from what I can tell at http://www.x.org/ , after
    >April 2001, updates to the X Window System stopped.
    >
    >Did responsiblity for the code move elsewhere?

    I got the feeling that the X Organization (actually, The Open Group) became a
    bit redundant when the Open Source community took on development of X tools and
    enhancements.

    I don't know the 'official' status of www.x.org, which is an arm of The Open
    Group, or of it's code efforts, though.

    --
    Lew Pitcher
    IT Consultant, Enterprise Technology Solutions

  3. Re: What ever happened to the X Window System?

    lvirden@yahoo.com writes in comp.windows.x:
    |For some reason, from what I can tell at http://www.x.org/ , after
    |April 2001, updates to the X Window System stopped.
    |
    |Did responsiblity for the code move elsewhere?

    It's still there and there have been some small updates, such as
    IPv6 support: http://www.x.org/IPV6_Review.html

    (Damn, that's well hidden - I knew it was there and still couldn't find
    it without digging deep.)

    There has been quite a bit of stagnation, but hopefully the overhaul of
    X.org that's in progress should cure that. (You may notice
    http://www.x.org/News.html mentions an announcement to be made at
    LinuxWorld this week.)

    Alan Coopersmith alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
    http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM

  4. Re: What ever happened to the X Window System?

    One of the reasons I was looking at the site is that I am trying to figure
    out the status of the reference documentation. Back in the old days,
    O'Reilly created a paper version of the various technical documents
    relating to X. I'm trying to figure out where to find the equivalent to that
    8 or 9 volume set - either hard copy or preferably electronic .

    So when I went to the web site, and found the software hadn't been updated
    in 3 years, I figured something must be going on...

    Where does one find the detailed techical specs of the latest X server
    and client code?
    --
    http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > In God we trust.
    http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ >

  5. Re: What ever happened to the X Window System?

    Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > On 22 Jan 2004 20:42:39 GMT, lvirden@yahoo.com wrote:
    >

    >>For some reason, from what I can tell at http://www.x.org/ , after
    >>April 2001, updates to the X Window System stopped.
    >>
    >>Did responsiblity for the code move elsewhere?

    > I got the feeling that the X Organization (actually, The Open Group) became a
    > bit redundant when the Open Source community took on development of X tools and
    > enhancements.
    >
    > I don't know the 'official' status of www.x.org, which is an arm of The Open
    > Group, or of it's code efforts, though.

    Well, it looks like the shoe dropped.

    Today, at LinuxWorld2004, x.org, xfree86, and freedesktop.org announced that
    "X.ORG and XFree86 have essentially merged", and that the group would work
    together to bring "not just more eye candy but new functionality" to the X
    Window Manager for Linux and Unix

    http://www.newsforge.com/software/04...tid=132&tid=82

  6. Re: What ever happened to the X Window System?

    lvirden@yahoo.com writes in comp.windows.x:
    |Where does one find the detailed techical specs of the latest X server
    |and client code?

    In the xc/doc directory of the source. I don't know of anywhere that
    it's been split out for easier reading at the moment.

    Alan Coopersmith alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
    http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM

  7. Re: What ever happened to the X Window System?

    Alan Coopersmith writes in comp.windows.x:
    |There has been quite a bit of stagnation, but hopefully the overhaul of
    |X.org that's in progress should cure that. (You may notice
    |http://www.x.org/News.html mentions an announcement to be made at
    |LinuxWorld this week.)

    More info about the new X.org Foundation and more open development of
    X is now up at http://www.x.org/XOrg_Foundation.html and
    http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xorg