commercial (paid) support for XFree86? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on commercial (paid) support for XFree86? - Xwindows ; I've gotten no response to my requests for help to regain control over my G400. I'd like to pay for some support and I'm considering switching to Xi Graphics X server, but I'm quite reluctant to depend upon proprietary software. ...

  1. commercial (paid) support for XFree86?

    I've gotten no response to my requests for help to regain control
    over my G400. I'd like to pay for some support and I'm considering
    switching to Xi Graphics X server, but I'm quite reluctant to
    depend upon proprietary software.

    Are there other possibilities? I don't see any paid support
    services listed on the help page.
    http://www.xfree86.org/help.html
    I'm not trying to do anything new; I just want to get my system
    working again like it was.

    (BTW, I'm using Debian. I don't want to switch to a commercial
    distribution.)

    Thank you.

    --kyler

  2. Re: commercial (paid) support for XFree86?

    On 2004-01-19, Kyler Laird wrote:
    > I've gotten no response to my requests for help to regain control
    > over my G400.

    I missed your initial inquiry (if it was made on c.w.x), but I've got a
    G400 card and have been through some trials and tribulations with it.
    Could you point me to your original post, or repost your question? I
    can't do the paid support, but I'll take a crack at it free of charge.

    --
    Ross Vandegrift
    ross@willow.seitz.com

    A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
    He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
    He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
    He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
    He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
    He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
    Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.

  3. Re: commercial (paid) support for XFree86?

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

    >can't do the paid support, but I'll take a crack at it free of charge.

    Thank you!

    --kyler

  4. Re: commercial (paid) support for XFree86?

    On 2004-01-20, Kyler Laird wrote:
    >>I missed your initial inquiry (if it was made on c.w.x), but I've got a
    >>G400 card and have been through some trials and tribulations with it.
    >>Could you point me to your original post, or repost your question?

    > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

    The first thing I'd ask for is the server log - there may be a key in
    there. I don't use the proprietary Matrox HAL module, so I can't speak
    to it specifically - does it require specific version of the X server or
    gcc? I'd check on things like that.

    Have you tried using their GPLed display configuration program? I once
    downloaded it just to check out, and it looked reasonably complete and
    capable. Once you make sure the HAL module is loaded and working, that
    might be able to put the final pieces together.

    --
    Ross Vandegrift
    ross@willow.seitz.com

    A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
    He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
    He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
    He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
    He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
    He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
    Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.

  5. Re: commercial (paid) support for XFree86?

    Ross Vandegrift writes:

    >The first thing I'd ask for is the server log - there may be a key in
    >there. I don't use the proprietary Matrox HAL module,

    That was my problem. I thought that I had used the HAL module so I'd
    put it back on the other machine. When I tried it on my machine
    (without mga_hal) and it worked, it all clicked.

    >Have you tried using their GPLed display configuration program?

    I started to try it. It only works on old versions.

    BTW, I'm still interested in commercial support for XFree86. I'd like
    to get the on-board (i810) adapter working on this machine with the
    G400.

    Thank you.

    --kyler

+ Reply to Thread