Re: XFree86/Matrox G400: I lost my dual-head functionality. - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Re: XFree86/Matrox G400: I lost my dual-head functionality. - Xwindows ; [I originally posted this to comp.os.linux.misc but then realized that it would be more appropriate here.] I've been running XFree86 4.3 on my boss' machine for quite awhile. I recall that it was a real struggle to configure it so ...

  1. Re: XFree86/Matrox G400: I lost my dual-head functionality.

    [I originally posted this to comp.os.linux.misc but then realized
    that it would be more appropriate here.]

    I've been running XFree86 4.3 on my boss' machine for quite awhile.
    I recall that it was a real struggle to configure it so that the G400
    would display the same image on both monitors (one DVI, the other
    analog) and I had to work around the internal i810 adapter that I was
    never able to initialize when the G400 was operational.

    The result, just being able to see the same thing on two monitors,
    has been sufficient. Then I destroyed everything.

    My boss has been having problems due to font changes in KDE. I found
    that some operations (opening a folder, for example) would cause the
    X server to eat all of the CPU time indefinitely. I thought that a
    newer or older X server might help so I tried a couple. That was not
    it. I eventually solved it by wiping out his KDE configuration and
    starting fresh. I haven't been able to restore the use of two
    monitors though.

    I've tried reinstalling the proprietary Matrox driver, mga_hal. I'm
    able to see console displays on both monitors, but when X starts, it
    goes to only one of them. I have the configuration file from before.

    What am I missing? What's required to make the G400 display the same
    thing on both displays? I was *not* using Xinerama. It must be
    something simple.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.

    --kyler

  2. Re: XFree86/Matrox G400: I lost my dual-head functionality.

    Problem solved!

    The problem was mga_hal. Apparently that's what caused X to appear only
    on one display. I removed mga_hal, reinstalled the X server, and now X
    appears on both displays.

    Thanks for the help offered with this. It was a real thorn in my side
    and I'm thrilled to have it working again.

    --kyler

+ Reply to Thread