window borders and position/size - Xwindows

This is a discussion on window borders and position/size - Xwindows ; I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but... I'm trying to write a few scripts to control tvtime (and hopefully a few other programs as well). It's pretty easy to have tvtime change channels and ...

  1. window borders and position/size

    I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but...

    I'm trying to write a few scripts to control tvtime (and hopefully a few
    other programs as well). It's pretty easy to have tvtime change channels
    and stuff like that but I'm trying to make the scripts position the tvtime
    window (and size it) and make it not have any borders. I won't need to
    switch from borders to borderless while its running. I'd like for it to be
    completely borderless. Would there also be a way to make the tvtime window
    stay completely on top of all other applications?

  2. Re: window borders and position/size

    Miguel De Anda writes:

    > I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but...
    >
    > I'm trying to write a few scripts to control tvtime (and hopefully a few
    > other programs as well). It's pretty easy to have tvtime change channels
    > and stuff like that but I'm trying to make the scripts position the tvtime
    > window (and size it) and make it not have any borders. I won't need to
    > switch from borders to borderless while its running. I'd like for it to be
    > completely borderless. Would there also be a way to make the tvtime window
    > stay completely on top of all other applications?

    some of these things you want to script are usually in charge of the
    window manager (wm)

    with most wm it is possible to specify, in some sort of init file,
    that particular options (e.g., no borders) are applied to particular
    windows (e.g., tvtime) --- if you happen to use gwm, it's as simple as
    writing

    (set-window tvtime no-frame-no-borders)

    in your ~/.profile.gwm --- if you use another wm, look in its man page

    hth, ciao

    --
    BOMBED BY SALESMEN. TORPEDOS. SINKING. U-597.

+ Reply to Thread