xvfb problem: make World command fails - Xwindows

This is a discussion on xvfb problem: make World command fails - Xwindows ; Hello everyone, We are trying to setup xvfb on Solaris 8. We are following the instructions (or so we think) but we are consistently getting the error messages below when we attempt to execute the make World command. Any input ...

  1. xvfb problem: make World command fails

    Hello everyone,

    We are trying to setup xvfb on Solaris 8. We are following the instructions
    (or so we think) but we are consistently getting the error messages below
    when we attempt to execute the make World command. Any input would be
    appreciated.

    I am first pasting our site.def file:

    snowstorm:/disk2/xvfb/xc/config/cf > more site.def
    #define HasVarDirectory NO
    #define BuildServer YES
    #define XVirtualFramebufferServer YES
    #define BuildPexExt YES

    #define XprtServer YES
    #define BuildFonts NO

    #define ProjectRoot /disk2/xvfbout (we tried without this one as well,
    same result)

    Here is what happens with make World:

    snowstorm:/disk2/xvfb > cd xc
    snowstorm:/disk2/xvfb/xc > make World

    Building Release 6.5 of the X Window System.

    I hope you checked the configuration parameters in ./config/cf
    to see if you need to pass BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS.

    Wed Jan 14 16:05:49 EST 2004

    cd ./config/imake && make -f Makefile.ini BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS="" clean
    rm -f ccimake imake.o imake
    rm -f *.CKP *.ln *.BAK *.bak *.o core errs ,* *~ *.a tags TAGS make.log \#*
    rm -f -r Makefile.proto Makefile Makefile.dep bootstrap
    make Makefile.boot
    cd ./config/imake && make -f Makefile.ini BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=""
    making imake with BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS= in config/imake
    cc -o ccimake -O -I../../include -I../../imports/x11/include/X11 ccimake.c
    cc -c -O -I../../include -I../../imports/x11/include/X11 `./ccimake`
    imake.c
    cc -o imake imake.o
    rm -f ./config/makedepend/Makefile.proto
    ../config/imake/imake -I./config/cf -s ./config/makedepend/Makefile.proto -f
    ../c
    onfig/makedepend/Imakefile -DTOPDIR=../.. -DCURDIR=./config/makedepend
    "./config/cf/Imake.tmpl", line 1178: Can't find include file
    TopLevelProject.rul
    es
    "./config/cf/Imake.tmpl", line 1191: Can't find include file
    TopLevelProject.tmp
    ../config/imake/imake: Exit code 2.
    Stop.
    *** Error code 1
    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
    `config/makedepend/Makefile.proto'
    Current working directory /disk2/xvfb/xc
    *** Error code 1
    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `World'
    snowstorm:/disk2/xvfb/xc >

  2. Re: xvfb problem: make World command fails

    Hal Maner wrote:
    >Hello everyone,
    >
    >We are trying to setup xvfb on Solaris 8. We are following the instructions
    >(or so we think) but we are consistently getting the error messages below
    >when we attempt to execute the make World command. Any input would be
    >appreciated.
    >
    >I am first pasting our site.def file:
    >
    >snowstorm:/disk2/xvfb/xc/config/cf > more site.def
    >#define HasVarDirectory NO
    >#define BuildServer YES
    >#define XVirtualFramebufferServer YES
    >#define BuildPexExt YES
    >
    >#define XprtServer YES
    >#define BuildFonts NO
    >
    >#define ProjectRoot /disk2/xvfbout (we tried without this one as well,
    >same result)
    >
    >Here is what happens with make World:
    >
    >snowstorm:/disk2/xvfb > cd xc
    >snowstorm:/disk2/xvfb/xc > make World
    >
    >Building Release 6.5 of the X Window System.
    >
    >I hope you checked the configuration parameters in ./config/cf
    >to see if you need to pass BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS.
    >
    >Wed Jan 14 16:05:49 EST 2004
    >
    >cd ./config/imake && make -f Makefile.ini BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS="" clean
    >rm -f ccimake imake.o imake
    >rm -f *.CKP *.ln *.BAK *.bak *.o core errs ,* *~ *.a tags TAGS make.log \#*
    >rm -f -r Makefile.proto Makefile Makefile.dep bootstrap
    >make Makefile.boot
    >cd ./config/imake && make -f Makefile.ini BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=""
    >making imake with BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS= in config/imake
    >cc -o ccimake -O -I../../include -I../../imports/x11/include/X11 ccimake.c
    >cc -c -O -I../../include -I../../imports/x11/include/X11 `./ccimake`
    >imake.c
    >cc -o imake imake.o
    >rm -f ./config/makedepend/Makefile.proto
    >./config/imake/imake -I./config/cf -s ./config/makedepend/Makefile.proto -f
    >./c
    >onfig/makedepend/Imakefile -DTOPDIR=../.. -DCURDIR=./config/makedepend
    >"./config/cf/Imake.tmpl", line 1178: Can't find include file
    >TopLevelProject.rul
    >es
    >"./config/cf/Imake.tmpl", line 1191: Can't find include file
    >TopLevelProject.tmp
    >./config/imake/imake: Exit code 2.
    > Stop.
    >*** Error code 1
    >make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
    >`config/makedepend/Makefile.proto'
    >Current working directory /disk2/xvfb/xc
    >*** Error code 1
    >make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `World'
    >snowstorm:/disk2/xvfb/xc >

    You might try adding this to your site.def file, stolen from the
    XFree site.def:

    /* On systems where cpp doesn't expand correctly macros in include directives
    * the two following macros need to be defined directly (where "X11" is
    * really whatever the TopLevelProject macro is defined to be).
    */
    # if defined(AIXArchitecture) || defined(SVR4Architecture) || \
    defined(SCOArchitecture) || defined(Win32Architecture) || \
    defined(UXPArchitecture) || defined(SunArchitecture) || \
    defined(i386IscArchitecture)
    # ifndef ProjectRulesFile
    # define ProjectRulesFile
    # endif
    # ifndef ProjectTmplFile
    # define ProjectTmplFile
    # endif
    # endif

  3. Re: xvfb problem: make World command fails

    "Kip Rugger" wrote in message
    > Hal Maner wrote:
    > >Hello everyone,
    > >
    > >We are trying to setup xvfb on Solaris 8. We are following the

    instructions
    > >(or so we think) but we are consistently getting the error messages below
    > >when we attempt to execute the make World command. Any input would be
    > >appreciated.
    > >
    > >I am first pasting our site.def file:
    > >
    > >snowstorm:/disk2/xvfb/xc/config/cf > more site.def
    > >#define HasVarDirectory NO
    > >#define BuildServer YES
    > >#define XVirtualFramebufferServer YES
    > >#define BuildPexExt YES
    > >
    > >#define XprtServer YES
    > >#define BuildFonts NO
    > >
    > >#define ProjectRoot /disk2/xvfbout (we tried without this one as

    well,
    > >same result)
    > >
    > >Here is what happens with make World:
    > >
    > >snowstorm:/disk2/xvfb > cd xc
    > >snowstorm:/disk2/xvfb/xc > make World
    > >
    > >Building Release 6.5 of the X Window System.
    > >
    > >I hope you checked the configuration parameters in ./config/cf
    > >to see if you need to pass BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS.
    > >
    > >Wed Jan 14 16:05:49 EST 2004
    > >
    > >cd ./config/imake && make -f Makefile.ini BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS="" clean
    > >rm -f ccimake imake.o imake
    > >rm -f *.CKP *.ln *.BAK *.bak *.o core errs ,* *~ *.a tags TAGS make.log

    \#*
    > >rm -f -r Makefile.proto Makefile Makefile.dep bootstrap
    > >make Makefile.boot
    > >cd ./config/imake && make -f Makefile.ini BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=""
    > >making imake with BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS= in config/imake
    > >cc -o ccimake -O -I../../include -I../../imports/x11/include/X11

    ccimake.c
    > >cc -c -O -I../../include -I../../imports/x11/include/X11 `./ccimake`
    > >imake.c
    > >cc -o imake imake.o
    > >rm -f ./config/makedepend/Makefile.proto
    > >./config/imake/imake -I./config/cf -s

    ../config/makedepend/Makefile.proto -f
    > >./c
    > >onfig/makedepend/Imakefile -DTOPDIR=../.. -DCURDIR=./config/makedepend
    > >"./config/cf/Imake.tmpl", line 1178: Can't find include file
    > >TopLevelProject.rul
    > >es
    > >"./config/cf/Imake.tmpl", line 1191: Can't find include file
    > >TopLevelProject.tmp
    > >./config/imake/imake: Exit code 2.
    > > Stop.
    > >*** Error code 1
    > >make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
    > >`config/makedepend/Makefile.proto'
    > >Current working directory /disk2/xvfb/xc
    > >*** Error code 1
    > >make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `World'
    > >snowstorm:/disk2/xvfb/xc >

    > You might try adding this to your site.def file, stolen from the
    > XFree site.def:
    >
    > /* On systems where cpp doesn't expand correctly macros in include

    directives
    > * the two following macros need to be defined directly (where "X11" is
    > * really whatever the TopLevelProject macro is defined to be).
    > */
    > # if defined(AIXArchitecture) || defined(SVR4Architecture) || \
    > defined(SCOArchitecture) || defined(Win32Architecture) || \
    > defined(UXPArchitecture) || defined(SunArchitecture) || \
    > defined(i386IscArchitecture)
    > # ifndef ProjectRulesFile
    > # define ProjectRulesFile
    > # endif
    > # ifndef ProjectTmplFile
    > # define ProjectTmplFile
    > # endif
    > # endif

    This looks very promising. We will try it. Thank you very much!

    Hal Maner

+ Reply to Thread