Linux Installation - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Linux Installation - Xwindows ; Hi, I am new to Linux and I have just installed Mandrake Linux 9.2 on my laptop(Virtual PC). While installing I set the screen resolution to be 1024x768. The resolution is too big for the screen size and all I ...

  1. Linux Installation

    Hi,
    I am new to Linux and I have just installed Mandrake Linux 9.2 on my
    laptop(Virtual PC). While installing I set the screen resolution to be
    1024x768. The resolution is too big for the screen size and all I can
    see is blury bits of screenshots. Is there a way to reset the screen
    size without having to build it again from scratch. Also is there any
    docs on any website which gives information on help with X Windows...
    Your help is much appreciated

    Sach

  2. Re: Linux Installation

    On 01/06/2004 05:15 AM, Sach wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am new to Linux and I have just installed Mandrake Linux 9.2 on my
    > laptop(Virtual PC). While installing I set the screen resolution to be
    > 1024x768. The resolution is too big for the screen size and all I can
    > see is blury bits of screenshots. Is there a way to reset the screen
    > size without having to build it again from scratch. Also is there any
    > docs on any website which gives information on help with X Windows...
    > Your help is much appreciated
    >
    > Sach

    Hi,
    Press CTRL+ALT and "+" (normally I would say "+" on the numeric keypad but
    don't know for a laptop, try all "+" keys; one of them will work) until you
    think it looks right ("-" works too)

    There are lots of sites with help and doc about X. You could start here maybe
    http://www.xfree86.org/ and then google away with more specific questions if
    needed

    HTH
    ..r

  3. Re: Linux Installation

    Thanx for your help.
    I have another scenario. I have a sun server which runs Red Hat 9. Now
    the thing is X Windows isnt installed on it. It boots up in a command
    mode. I tried typing "startx" on the console but it returns me with a
    command not found error. How do I set the machine to run X Windows?

    sport wrote in message news:...
    > On 01/06/2004 05:15 AM, Sach wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I am new to Linux and I have just installed Mandrake Linux 9.2 on my
    > > laptop(Virtual PC). While installing I set the screen resolution to be
    > > 1024x768. The resolution is too big for the screen size and all I can
    > > see is blury bits of screenshots. Is there a way to reset the screen
    > > size without having to build it again from scratch. Also is there any
    > > docs on any website which gives information on help with X Windows...
    > > Your help is much appreciated
    > >
    > > Sach

    > Hi,
    > Press CTRL+ALT and "+" (normally I would say "+" on the numeric keypad but
    > don't know for a laptop, try all "+" keys; one of them will work) until you
    > think it looks right ("-" works too)
    >
    > There are lots of sites with help and doc about X. You could start here maybe
    > http://www.xfree86.org/ and then google away with more specific questions if
    > needed
    >
    > HTH
    > .r

  4. Re: Linux Installation

    You are welcome,
    Not sure I understand your question this time, but installing X Windows seems
    to be a good starting point...
    If you are asking how to install Red Hat 9 on Sun, I really can't say but I'm
    sure someone else in the group can.
    ..r

    On 01/08/2004 04:11 AM, Sach wrote:
    > Thanx for your help.
    > I have another scenario. I have a sun server which runs Red Hat 9. Now
    > the thing is X Windows isnt installed on it. It boots up in a command
    > mode. I tried typing "startx" on the console but it returns me with a
    > command not found error. How do I set the machine to run X Windows?
    > Your help is much appreciated.
    >
    > sport wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>On 01/06/2004 05:15 AM, Sach wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>I am new to Linux and I have just installed Mandrake Linux 9.2 on my
    >>>laptop(Virtual PC). While installing I set the screen resolution to be
    >>>1024x768. The resolution is too big for the screen size and all I can
    >>>see is blury bits of screenshots. Is there a way to reset the screen
    >>>size without having to build it again from scratch. Also is there any
    >>>docs on any website which gives information on help with X Windows...
    >>>Your help is much appreciated
    >>>
    >>>Sach

    >>Hi,
    >>Press CTRL+ALT and "+" (normally I would say "+" on the numeric keypad but
    >>don't know for a laptop, try all "+" keys; one of them will work) until you
    >>think it looks right ("-" works too)
    >>
    >>There are lots of sites with help and doc about X. You could start here maybe
    >>http://www.xfree86.org/ and then google away with more specific questions if
    >>needed
    >>
    >>HTH
    >>.r