xmodmap and keycodes - Xwindows

This is a discussion on xmodmap and keycodes - Xwindows ; I have a problem with the keycode produced by the Alt-L key. Using xev I can see that when using VNC the keycode is 14 but when using Exceed the keycode is 63. Per xev, both keycodes map to the ...

  1. xmodmap and keycodes

    I have a problem with the keycode produced by the Alt-L key. Using xev I can
    see that when using VNC the keycode is 14 but when using Exceed the keycode
    is 63. Per xev, both keycodes map to the same keysym. The problem is that
    apps running under VNC will not see the Alt key.

    Is there a way to use xmodmap to fix this so that VNC will work the same way
    as Exceed and my app will be happy?

    --
    Jake Colman

    Principia Partners LLC Phone: (201) 209-2467
    Harborside Financial Center Fax: (201) 946-0320
    902 Plaza Two E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
    Jersey City, NJ 07311 www.principiapartners.com

  2. Re: xmodmap and keycodes

    Jake Colman wrote:

    > I have a problem with the keycode produced by the Alt-L key. Using xev I can
    > see that when using VNC the keycode is 14 but when using Exceed the keycode
    > is 63. Per xev, both keycodes map to the same keysym. The problem is that
    > apps running under VNC will not see the Alt key.
    >
    > Is there a way to use xmodmap to fix this so that VNC will work the same way
    > as Exceed and my app will be happy?

    Where are you running your VNC viewer?

    If you are running it under MSWindows, then you will probably have to tweak
    MSWindows (I don't know how), as MSWindows reserves the Alt key for it's own
    use.

  3. Re: xmodmap and keycodes

    LP> Jake Colman wrote:
    >> I have a problem with the keycode produced by the Alt-L key. Using xev
    >> I can see that when using VNC the keycode is 14 but when using Exceed
    >> the keycode is 63. Per xev, both keycodes map to the same keysym. The
    >> problem is that apps running under VNC will not see the Alt key. Is
    >> there a way to use xmodmap to fix this so that VNC will work the same
    >> way as Exceed and my app will be happy?
    >>

    LP> Where are you running your VNC viewer?

    LP> If you are running it under MSWindows, then you will probably have to
    LP> tweak MSWindows (I don't know how), as MSWindows reserves the Alt key
    LP> for it's own use.

    The VNC Viewer is a windoze client. The Alt key does go through for Motif
    screens, it just doesn't go through for Qt screens. This indicates to me
    that Windoze does pass through the Alt key correctly its just that the
    different keycode is acceptable to only Motif and not Qt. Also, I am pretty
    sure that the windoze vnc viewer, in general, is designed to handle Alt
    correctly and not let windoze take it over.

    --
    Jake Colman

    Principia Partners LLC Phone: (201) 209-2467
    Harborside Financial Center Fax: (201) 946-0320
    902 Plaza Two E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
    Jersey City, NJ 07311 www.principiapartners.com

+ Reply to Thread