Alt Key Not Always Working - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Alt Key Not Always Working - Xwindows ; I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me debug this issue. I have an app that uses both Motif and Qt screens. Both libraries support using Alt-key combinations as accelerators to access the menubar. When running using VNC, ...

  1. Alt Key Not Always Working

    I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me debug this issue.

    I have an app that uses both Motif and Qt screens. Both libraries support
    using Alt-key combinations as accelerators to access the menubar. When
    running using VNC, only the Motif screens respond to the Alt-key sequences;
    the Qt screens do not. When using Exceed, the Qt screens work fine.

    Yes, I realize this is probably an issue with either VNC, Qt, or thw Window
    Manager. But maybe someone here can point me in the right direction to gain
    some insight into this so that I can prod the guilty party in the right
    direction. Right now I have a circle-jerk with every party saying the other
    is to blame!

    TIA!

    --
    Jake Colman

    Principia Partners LLC Phone: (201) 209-2467
    Harborside Financial Center Fax: (201) 946-0320
    902 Plaza Two E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
    Jersey City, NJ 07311 www.principiapartners.com

  2. Re: Alt Key Not Always Working

    * Jake Colman :

    > I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me debug this issue.
    >
    > I have an app that uses both Motif and Qt screens. Both libraries support
    > using Alt-key combinations as accelerators to access the menubar. When
    > running using VNC, only the Motif screens respond to the Alt-key sequences;
    > the Qt screens do not. When using Exceed, the Qt screens work fine.
    >
    > Yes, I realize this is probably an issue with either VNC, Qt, or thw Window
    > Manager. But maybe someone here can point me in the right direction to gain
    > some insight into this so that I can prod the guilty party in the right
    > direction. Right now I have a circle-jerk with every party saying the other
    > is to blame!

    Use 'xev' -program to detect what underlying X keyboard system is seeing
    as 'Alt' key. Do it under exceed and under VNC. Then configure VNC so
    that it reports Alt in the same way it's reported in Exceed.

    (run xev from xterm, it's supposed to print lotsa messages. move mouse
    cursor into its window and make a single keypress (with Alt). Something
    like 'xev | grep -B 4 -C 4 KeyPress' will filter it down to sanity. I'm
    getting 'Alt_L' for left alt at this local X instance. For VNC keyboard
    repeating configuration consult your VNC documentation).

    --
    Psi --

  3. Re: Alt Key Not Always Working

    PS> * Jake Colman :
    >>
    >> I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me debug this issue.
    >>
    >> I have an app that uses both Motif and Qt screens. Both libraries
    >> support using Alt-key combinations as accelerators to access the
    >> menubar. When running using VNC, only the Motif screens respond to the
    >> Alt-key sequences; the Qt screens do not. When using Exceed, the Qt
    >> screens work fine.
    >>
    >> Yes, I realize this is probably an issue with either VNC, Qt, or thw
    >> Window Manager. But maybe someone here can point me in the right
    >> direction to gain some insight into this so that I can prod the guilty
    >> party in the right direction. Right now I have a circle-jerk with
    >> every party saying the other is to blame!

    PS> Use 'xev' -program to detect what underlying X keyboard system is
    PS> seeing as 'Alt' key. Do it under exceed and under VNC. Then configure
    PS> VNC so that it reports Alt in the same way it's reported in Exceed.

    PS> (run xev from xterm, it's supposed to print lotsa messages. move mouse
    PS> cursor into its window and make a single keypress (with
    PS> Alt). Something like 'xev | grep -B 4 -C 4 KeyPress' will filter it
    PS> down to sanity. I'm getting 'Alt_L' for left alt at this local X
    PS> instance. For VNC keyboard repeating configuration consult your VNC
    PS> documentation).

    Here is the xev out for the KeyPress event:

    VNC
    ---
    KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x6000001,
    root 0x25, subw 0x0, time 3343409110, (79,58), root84,891),
    state 0x0, keycode 14 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters: ""

    Exceed
    ------
    KeyPress event, serial 19, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
    root 0x2b, subw 0x0, time 23974, (101,78), root716,422),
    state 0x0, keycode 63 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters: ""

    It seems that the only real difference is the keycode. The keysym and the
    'Alt_L' are the same. Is this a difference that makes a difference?

    --
    Jake Colman

    Principia Partners LLC Phone: (201) 209-2467
    Harborside Financial Center Fax: (201) 946-0320
    902 Plaza Two E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
    Jersey City, NJ 07311 www.principiapartners.com

+ Reply to Thread