Clipboard viewer for X? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Clipboard viewer for X? - Xwindows ; Does there exist a good viewer for the clipboard in X? I've used XCLIPBOARD, but it is not great. For one thing, in order for it work at all, you have to have the following X-resource: *VT100.Translations: #override \ :select-end(PRIMARY, ...

  1. Clipboard viewer for X?

    Does there exist a good viewer for the clipboard in X? I've used
    XCLIPBOARD, but it is not great. For one thing, in order for it work at
    all, you have to have the following X-resource:

    *VT100.Translations: #override \
    :select-end(PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0, CLIPBOARD)

    And that only applies to xterms/rxvts. It won't work for things clipped
    from arbitrary X apps.

    I'm thinking something like the clipboard viewer in Windows as a minimum
    - something like ClipMate would be great.

    P.S. Are there any other groups I should post this to? Anything else in
    the area of "X" (as opposed to Linux) ?

  2. Re: Clipboard viewer for X?

    gazelle@yin.interaccess.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote in news:bsplgh$qpf$1
    @yin.interaccess.com:
    > I'm thinking something like the clipboard viewer in Windows as a minimum
    > - something like ClipMate would be great.

    Silicon Graphics put out a multi-media clipboard viewer several years ago.
    It was tied into the SGI desktop and not widely available. Few X
    applications cut-and-paste anything other than text, though, so there
    probably isn't much demand for a real fancy clipboard viewer. You can just
    paste the text into a text editor.

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

  3. Re: Clipboard viewer for X?

    In article ,
    Ken Lee wrote:
    >gazelle@yin.interaccess.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote in news:bsplgh$qpf$1
    >@yin.interaccess.com:
    >> I'm thinking something like the clipboard viewer in Windows as a minimum
    >> - something like ClipMate would be great.

    >Silicon Graphics put out a multi-media clipboard viewer several years ago.
    >It was tied into the SGI desktop and not widely available.

    Any idea whatever happened to it? Did anyone think to open-source it?

    >Few X applications cut-and-paste anything other than text, though, so
    >there probably isn't much demand for a real fancy clipboard viewer. You
    >can just paste the text into a text editor.

    Right - I just want the ability to see what is there (what *would* be
    pasted if I pasted) w/o actually pasting.

    That, and, as a bonus, "depth" - i.e., the ability to store and retrieve
    previous clippings.

  4. Re: Clipboard viewer for X?

    A ruler must learn to be other than good. -- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

  5. Re: Clipboard viewer for X?

    In article ,
    Jim Richardson wrote:
    >> Right - I just want the ability to see what is there (what *would* be
    >> pasted if I pasted) w/o actually pasting.
    >>
    >> That, and, as a bonus, "depth" - i.e., the ability to store and retrieve
    >> previous clippings.
    >>

    >With KDE, use klipper, I use wmcliphist, which is one of the doodads in
    >Windowmaker's dock. There's one for Gnome called, gcm, but I have never
    >used it.

    I use icewm. Although I detest the idea of KDE/Gnome (*), I just tried
    klipper and it ran, but didn't seem to do anything useful. Is there
    something specifically for icewm? Do you think "wmcliphist" would work w/o
    Windowmaker?

    (*) If I want (Microsoft) Windows, I know where to find it...

  6. Re: Clipboard viewer for X?

    On 2003-12-30, Kenny McCormack wrote:

    > I use icewm. Although I detest the idea of KDE/Gnome (*), I just tried
    > klipper and it ran, but didn't seem to do anything useful.

    It will keep up to 8 cut histories and allow you to choose which one
    to paste. It will activate highlighted URL's with 'tools enabled'. It will cut
    and paste using Ctrl-c and Ctrl-p, the cache being different from the
    standard linux c/p cache. I don't know about c/p'ing graphics. Can
    Windows do that?

    > (*) If I want (Microsoft) Windows, I know where to find it...

    Kind of a silly statement in light of the fact you are asking about
    Windows-like utilities.

    nb

  7. Re: Clipboard viewer for X?

    In article <%diIb.691331$HS4.4896116@attbi_s01>,
    notbob wrote:
    >On 2003-12-30, Kenny McCormack wrote:
    >
    >> I use icewm. Although I detest the idea of KDE/Gnome (*), I just tried
    >> klipper and it ran, but didn't seem to do anything useful.

    >It will keep up to 8 cut histories and allow you to choose which one to
    >paste.

    I saw that - *but* I didn't see any way to view the current clip. That's
    the thing I need the most. It seems you can only view the first line (aka,
    a "thumbnail") of each clip.

    >It will activate highlighted URL's with 'tools enabled'. It will cut and
    >paste using Ctrl-c and Ctrl-p, the cache being different from the standard
    >linux c/p cache. I don't know about c/p'ing graphics. Can Windows do
    >that?

    Yes (or, more correctly, ClipMate can), though comparisons with Windows are
    for information purposes only (see below).

    >> (*) If I want (Microsoft) Windows, I know where to find it...

    >Kind of a silly statement in light of the fact you are asking about
    >Windows-like utilities.

    Funny. Anyway, I think it should be understood that I (and, I believe,
    others who start their posts with "in Windows, I would do...." or, "On
    Windows, we have functionality ") only mention Windows (i.e., use
    Windows analogies) for illustrative purposes - that is, as a form of
    communication. Like it or not, Windows is the "lingua franca" or the "12th
    Century Vulgar Latin", if you will, of the computer world. Like it or not,
    people are familiar with it (regardless of what they think of it).

    P.S. I could also point out that if you like KDE (and I'm not saying you
    do - since I don't really know you), then you are probably more attuned to
    Microsoft sensibilities than am I.

    But that would be rude...

    P.P.S. I could also point out that I've used XCLIPBOARD for years, and
    have been mostly happy with it. The only downsides are:
    1) It only works with Xterms (and Xterm-like things).
    and 2) It only works with Xterms (and Xterm-like things) if you have
    supplied a certain resource (and it annoys me that you have to restart all
    your xterms once you remember to specify that resource).

  8. Re: Clipboard viewer for X?

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Kenny McCormack wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Jim Richardson wrote:
    >>> Right - I just want the ability to see what is there (what *would*
    >>> be pasted if I pasted) w/o actually pasting.
    >>>
    >>> That, and, as a bonus, "depth" - i.e., the ability to store and
    >>> retrieve previous clippings.
    >>>

    >>With KDE, use klipper, I use wmcliphist, which is one of the doodads
    >>in Windowmaker's dock. There's one for Gnome called, gcm, but I have
    >>never used it.

    > I use icewm. Although I detest the idea of KDE/Gnome (*), I just
    > tried klipper and it ran, but didn't seem to do anything useful. Is
    > there something specifically for icewm? Do you think "wmcliphist"
    > would work w/o Windowmaker?

    I've been quite happy with wmcb which doesn't seem to have too many dependencies

    Robert
    --
    La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau

  9. Re: Clipboard viewer for X?

    gazelle@yin.interaccess.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:

    > In article ,
    > Ken Lee wrote:
    >>gazelle@yin.interaccess.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote in news:bsplgh$qpf$1
    >>@yin.interaccess.com:
    >>> I'm thinking something like the clipboard viewer in Windows as a minimum
    >>> - something like ClipMate would be great.

    >>Silicon Graphics put out a multi-media clipboard viewer several years ago..
    >>It was tied into the SGI desktop and not widely available.

    > Any idea whatever happened to it? Did anyone think to open-source it?
    >
    >>Few X applications cut-and-paste anything other than text, though, so
    >>there probably isn't much demand for a real fancy clipboard viewer. You
    >>can just paste the text into a text editor.

    > Right - I just want the ability to see what is there (what *would* be
    > pasted if I pasted) w/o actually pasting.
    >
    > That, and, as a bonus, "depth" - i.e., the ability to store and retrieve
    > previous clippings.

    Gclipper seems to have the basic functionality you want

    http://freshmeat.net/releases/9766/

    Something strange is going on though; selections from (X)Emacs don't
    show up i gclipper. No problems with other applications I tested
    though.

    --
    - Mårten

    mail: msv@kth.se *** ICQ: 4356928 *** mobile: +46 (0)707390385

  10. Re: Clipboard viewer for X?

    In comp.os.linux.misc Kenny McCormack wrote:
    > In article <%diIb.691331$HS4.4896116@attbi_s01>,
    > notbob wrote:
    > >On 2003-12-30, Kenny McCormack wrote:
    > >It will keep up to 8 cut histories and allow you to choose which one to
    > >paste.

    > I saw that - *but* I didn't see any way to view the current clip. That's
    > the thing I need the most. It seems you can only view the first line (aka,

    You may try gcb. It can save the history of clipboard changes and
    can display current the content of current clip on the title bar.

    http://www.csie.nctu.edu.tw/~cp76/gcb

    --
    My projects:
    http://fftv.sf.net

  11. Re: Clipboard viewer for X?

    In article ,
    gazelle@yin.interaccess.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
    > Does there exist a good viewer for the clipboard in X? I've used
    > XCLIPBOARD, but it is not great. For one thing, in order for it work at
    > all, you have to have the following X-resource:
    >
    > *VT100.Translations: #override \
    > :select-end(PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0, CLIPBOARD)
    >
    > And that only applies to xterms/rxvts. It won't work for things clipped
    > from arbitrary X apps.
    >
    > I'm thinking something like the clipboard viewer in Windows as a minimum
    > - something like ClipMate would be great.

    I like xcb, though it doesn't do graphics. I have two archived at:

    ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/hawkeyd/X/xcb.tar.gz
    ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/hawkeyd/X/xcb-2.0.tar.gz

    Dave

    --

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

  12. Re: Clipboard viewer for X?

    In article <3ff7f893$0$41286$a1866201@newsreader.visi.com>,
    D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
    >In article ,
    > gazelle@yin.interaccess.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
    >> Does there exist a good viewer for the clipboard in X? I've used
    >> XCLIPBOARD, but it is not great. For one thing, in order for it work at
    >> all, you have to have the following X-resource:
    >>
    >> *VT100.Translations: #override \
    >> :select-end(PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0, CLIPBOARD)
    >>
    >> And that only applies to xterms/rxvts. It won't work for things clipped
    >> from arbitrary X apps.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking something like the clipboard viewer in Windows as a minimum
    >> - something like ClipMate would be great.

    >I like xcb, though it doesn't do graphics. I have two archived at:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/hawkeyd/X/xcb.tar.gz
    > ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/hawkeyd/X/xcb-2.0.tar.gz

    Thanks - I've downloaded the "-2.0" version - but haven't gotten around to
    trying to compile it yet. A couple of questions:

    1) Why are there two versions listed above?
    2) Does it require any special libs to compile?

    I ask the second because I'd tried "gcb", which another poster recommended
    (because he wrote it - and he says it is better than "xcb"), but was unable
    to compile it because it requires gtk2, which I don't have.

  13. Re: Clipboard viewer for X?

    In article ,
    gazelle@yin.interaccess.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
    > In article <3ff7f893$0$41286$a1866201@newsreader.visi.com>,
    > D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
    >>In article ,
    >> gazelle@yin.interaccess.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
    >>> Does there exist a good viewer for the clipboard in X? I've used
    >>> XCLIPBOARD, but it is not great. For one thing, in order for it work at
    >>> all, you have to have the following X-resource:
    >>>
    >>> *VT100.Translations: #override \
    >>> :select-end(PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0, CLIPBOARD)
    >>>
    >>> And that only applies to xterms/rxvts. It won't work for things clipped
    >>> from arbitrary X apps.
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking something like the clipboard viewer in Windows as a minimum
    >>> - something like ClipMate would be great.

    >>I like xcb, though it doesn't do graphics. I have two archived at:
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/hawkeyd/X/xcb.tar.gz
    >> ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/hawkeyd/X/xcb-2.0.tar.gz

    > Thanks - I've downloaded the "-2.0" version - but haven't gotten around to
    > trying to compile it yet. A couple of questions:
    >
    > 1) Why are there two versions listed above?

    The first (no version) is mostly a hack to get it to compile on
    QNX 4 (the Makefile is MetroLink and Watcom specific). The second
    (2.0) is more generic (it might actually be the original, with an
    X11R6 Makefile), and also has an Xt actions bugfix.

    A good chunk of what's in that FTP directory are archives of hacks
    for QNX 4 (which I was heavily involved with), though that doesn't
    make them unusable for other environments.

    > 2) Does it require any special libs to compile?

    Just Xlib, Xaw, Xt, Xmu, and Xext. It's an old Athena app.

    > I ask the second because I'd tried "gcb", which another poster recommended
    > (because he wrote it - and he says it is better than "xcb"), but was unable
    > to compile it because it requires gtk2, which I don't have.

    It ain't better if if doesn't fit the environment. :-)
    gcb might have more features, or look better, but since all we're
    talking about is a cut buffer manager, how much glitz (or bloat)
    does one need?

    The one thing xcb doesn't deal with well is when an app takes
    ownership of the primary selection away from xcb - nothing
    catastrophic, it just means a buffer has to be re-selected.
    I don't know that gcb overcomes this or not (I'm not even sure
    how or if it could). And as I wrote before, it only does text;
    maybe gcb does graphics, I don't know.

    Try it out. It should take less than a minute to build and
    install, and if you don't like it, you'll know soon enough.

    Dave

    --

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?