Query on UI - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Query on UI - Xwindows ; Hi, I have done close to nil programming on UI. To start with are Windows fonts(calling them so because I seen them on Windows) like Arial etc. available on Solaris?. Is the look and feel the same?/ Kind of lost. ...

  1. Query on UI

    Hi,

    I have done close to nil programming on UI. To start with are Windows
    fonts(calling them so because I seen them on Windows) like Arial etc.
    available on Solaris?. Is the look and feel the same?/

    Kind of lost. Would help if I could get a pointer to a site that talks
    of this. My requirement is to port an application that prints Reports
    on Windows to Solaris. The look and feel of the report has to be
    maintained. Is this possible? Is it possible through X11?

    Thanks and Regards,
    M Shetty

  2. Re: Query on UI

    In article ,
    mshetty@mail.com (mshetty) writes:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have done close to nil programming on UI. To start with are Windows
    > fonts(calling them so because I seen them on Windows) like Arial etc.
    > available on Solaris?. Is the look and feel the same?/

    From the top of my head: I seem to recall that Sun provides Arial. It
    should be in the xxx/X11/fonts/TrueType directory. If not you can
    easily install it yourself as "Windows fonts" are really TrueType fonts
    and recent versions of X11 support TrueType.

  3. Re: Query on UI

    mshetty wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have done close to nil programming on UI. To start with are Windows
    > fonts(calling them so because I seen them on Windows) like Arial etc.
    > available on Solaris?. Is the look and feel the same?/
    >
    > Kind of lost. Would help if I could get a pointer to a site that talks
    > of this. My requirement is to port an application that prints Reports
    > on Windows to Solaris. The look and feel of the report has to be
    > maintained. Is this possible? Is it possible through X11?

    If the original application was 'clean' C code, you can use WineLib , which is
    an X version of the Windows API.

    http://www.winehq.org/site/winelib

    > Thanks and Regards,
    > M Shetty