Newbie question : what is DisplayNumber and ScreenNumber?? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Newbie question : what is DisplayNumber and ScreenNumber?? - Xwindows ; Hi, I am a newbie to the X world... In order to export DISPLAY onto a remote m/c, we use the foll. mechanism: export DISPLAY=IP isplay_Number.Screen_Number What does the Display_Number refer to? I understand the Scree_Number refers to the monitor ...

  1. Newbie question : what is DisplayNumber and ScreenNumber??

    Hi,

    I am a newbie to the X world...
    In order to export DISPLAY onto a remote m/c, we use the foll.
    mechanism:
    export DISPLAY=IPisplay_Number.Screen_Number

    What does the Display_Number refer to? I understand the Scree_Number
    refers to the monitor # in case one has multiple monitors connected to
    his/her PC.

    I attempted to find it out by GOOGLING..but found the foll. answer:

    displaynumber: The phrase "display" is usually used to refer to a
    collection of monitors that share a common key board and pointer
    (mouse, tablet, etc.). Most workstations tend to only have one
    keyboard, and therefore, only one display. Larger, multi-user systems,
    however, frequently have several displays so that more than one person
    can be doing graphics work at once. To avoid confusion, each display
    on a machine is assigned a display number (beginning at 0) when the X
    server for that display is started. The display number must always be
    given in a display name.

    screen number: Some displays share a single keyboard and pointer among
    two or more monitors. Since each monitor has its own set of windows,
    each screen is assigned a screen number (beginning at 0) when the X
    server for that display is started. If the screen number is not given,
    screen 0 will be used.

    Here the explanation, for "screen number" part is clear and does refer
    to the monitors attached to the m/c..

    But what do they mean by:
    "The phrase 'display' is usually used to refer to a collection of
    monitors that share a common key board and pointer (mouse, tablet,
    etc.)." ?

    I assume that they refer to XTerminals...but as far as I know doesn't
    each Xterminal have its own monitor, keydb and mouse ?? My knowledge
    on Xterminals is very limited and I don't have any experince of using
    one...so I could be wrong also..

    Assuming that they refer to Xterminals in "DisplayNumber", then to
    export the display, why do we require the syntax:
    export DISPLAY=IP.Display_Number.Screen_Number
    ?

    I mean, we already have IP addr to differentiate between different
    XTerminals ( once again I assume each Xterminal will have its own IP
    addr), then how does the Display_Number help us? What is its
    significance?

    As I said, I've already tried googling it out...any further
    explanation will be highly appreciated.

    TIA,
    LnxKido

  2. Re: Newbie question : what is DisplayNumber and ScreenNumber??

    lnxkido@yahoo.com (Linux Kido) wrote in news:a35b3272.0312191109.17f95f27
    @posting.google.com:
    > What does the Display_Number refer to? I understand the Scree_Number
    > refers to the monitor # in case one has multiple monitors connected to
    > his/her PC.

    It is easier to think of a "display" as an X server. You can have multiple X
    servers running on one computer, e.g., to drive X terminals, pseudo-servers,
    nested servers, etc. Pseudo-servers are often useful for groupware and also
    for software testing.

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

+ Reply to Thread