how to find which area of the display has changed ? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on how to find which area of the display has changed ? - Xwindows ; Hi, I am new to Xwindows based programming. I have a requirement where I have to find which area of the screen(display area) has changed, so that I can get the contents of that area. That is,of the entire area ...

  1. how to find which area of the display has changed ?

    Hi,
    I am new to Xwindows based programming. I have a requirement where
    I have to find which area of the screen(display area) has changed, so
    that I can get the contents of that area. That is,of the entire area
    displayed on a monitor, only a small portion of it has changed. I want
    to be able to find out the smallest unit of the area that has changed
    and then somehow find the contents of that area. Please suggest how I
    go abuot doing it.

    thanks a mil
    'j'

  2. Re: how to find which area of the display has changed ?

    jamesjose@yeayea.com (james jose) writes in comp.windows.x:
    | I am new to Xwindows based programming. I have a requirement where
    |I have to find which area of the screen(display area) has changed, so
    |that I can get the contents of that area. That is,of the entire area
    |displayed on a monitor, only a small portion of it has changed. I want
    |to be able to find out the smallest unit of the area that has changed
    |and then somehow find the contents of that area. Please suggest how I
    |go abuot doing it.

    I don't think there's any good way to do that yet, but one is being
    developed - see: http://xserver.freedesktop.org/Software/XDamage

    Alan Coopersmith alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
    http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM