OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available.... - Xwindows

This is a discussion on OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available.... - Xwindows ; Hi, The MotifZone is pleased to announce that OpenMotif 2.2.3 is ready for beta testing! It can be downloaded from http://www.motifzone.com . OpenMotif 2.2.3 is primarily a bug fix release with over 30 bug fixes. In addition, major work has ...

  1. OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    Hi,

    The MotifZone is pleased to announce that OpenMotif 2.2.3 is ready for beta
    testing! It can be downloaded from http://www.motifzone.com.

    OpenMotif 2.2.3 is primarily a bug fix release with over 30 bug fixes. In
    addition, major work has been done on improving the thread safeness of the
    new provisional widgets added in OpenMotif 2.2.2. The changelog for
    OpenMotif is attached.

    Public comment is also being requested on the specification for the future
    OpenMotif 2.2.4 release. This release is intended to address many of the
    enhancement requests and technical comments expressed by the community.

    Regards,

    Mark

    ----

    OpenMotif 2.2.3 Changelog

    Fixed many compilation warnings in Xm
    Removed incorrect includes in public header files
    Renamed widget Ext18List to MultiList, Ext18List alias provided.
    Renamed Ext18List demo program to MultiList
    Renamed widget CombinationBox2 to DropDown, CombinationBox2 alias
    provided.
    Renamed ComboBox2 demo program to DropDown
    Fixed compilation failures in FontSelector, MultiList, and xmanimate demo
    programs
    Added thread safety calls to ButtonBox, ColorSelector, Column, DropDown,
    DataField, FontSelector, MultiList, IconBox, IconButton, Panned, TabBox,
    TabStack, Hierarchy, Outline, and Tree
    Moved definitions in xmstring.list from XmStrDefsI.h to XmStrDefs.h
    Removed invalid definitions
    Fixed bug #278 (Man page for XmText does not display tables)
    Fixed bug #1013 (XmDrawnButton page describes hierarchy for bulletinboard)
    Fixed bug #1131 (64-bit int/long botch in XmRenderT.c)
    Fixed bug #1139 (XmNotebook doesn't resize tabs)
    Fixed bug #1152 (64-bit int/long botch in XmRenderT.c)
    Fixed bug #1153 (Don't let the tooltip run off the right/bottom of the
    screen)
    Fixed bug #1154 (RadioBox button fails to select button if button is set
    from callback)
    Fixed bug #1164 (RadioBox XmRowColumn ignores XmNradioAlwaysOne)
    Fixed bug #1166 (Double-click on a MultiList does not consistently
    register a double-click event)
    Fixed bug #1170 (DropDown desensitization/sensitization)
    Fixed bugs #1172, #1173, #1188, and several other bugs in ToggleButton.
    Fixed bug #1181 (Linux Motif binaries do not work with Solaris/Xsun
    Xserver)
    Fixed bug #1183 (XmNpageNumber when set on a MajorTab widget will crash
    the application)
    Fixed bug #1197 (Compilation Error due to bad syntax in yacc file)
    Fixed bug #1205 (Bug in man-page of XmManager)
    Fixed bug #1168 (DeAssocNavigator warning when destroying widgets that
    have XmScrolledWindow)
    Fixed bug #1184 (XmScrolledText widget no longer has vertical scrollbar)
    Fixed bug #1206 (XmNpopupHandlerCallback of XmContainer not called)
    Fixed bug #1207 (Extending selection using scrolled text widgets scrolls
    up too fast)
    Fixed bug #1232 (Race condition in ToolTip code can cause crashes, even if
    no tooltips are used.)

  2. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    Mark Hatch wrote:
    > The MotifZone is pleased to announce that OpenMotif 2.2.3 is ready for beta
    > testing! It can be downloaded from http://www.motifzone.com.

    Sorry for the newbie question:

    Is Motif just a bunch of libraries layered entirely over Xlib and intrinsincs,
    or does Motif have lots of hooks directly into the operating system ?

    (Ok, I can see the file selection dialog, and print dialogs being OS
    dependant). Are there many other dependancies ?

  3. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    JF Mezei wrote in
    > Is Motif just a bunch of libraries layered entirely over Xlib and
    > intrinsincs, or does Motif have lots of hooks directly into the
    > operating system ?

    Yes, Motif is generally independent of the operating system. In addition to
    the libraries, there are stand-alone programs like the window manager, but
    those are also generally OS-independent.

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

  4. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    Ken Lee wrote:
    > Yes, Motif is generally independent of the operating system. In addition to
    > the libraries, there are stand-alone programs like the window manager, but
    > those are also generally OS-independent.

    Is the window manager tied to a motif versions ? I was under the impression
    that a window manager dealt only with low level X protocol and that motif gets
    translated to low level X packets by the X-client. Is this correct ?

    The reason I ask: The folks at Digital (now under HP) are not interested in
    bringing Xwindows on VMS up to speed, especially on VAX which is still at 1.2.

    Would it be a herculean effort for a "user" to compile Motif 2.2.x with
    whatever tailoring is needed for it to run on VMS ? (I probably would have to
    obtain the platform specific source such as file selection and print widgets).

  5. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    In article <3FE00FBE.CBC282D9@istop.com>,
    JF Mezei writes:
    > Ken Lee wrote:
    >> Yes, Motif is generally independent of the operating system. In addition to
    >> the libraries, there are stand-alone programs like the window manager, but
    >> those are also generally OS-independent.

    > Is the window manager tied to a motif versions ? I was under the impression
    > that a window manager dealt only with low level X protocol and that motif gets
    > translated to low level X packets by the X-client. Is this correct ?

    Most window managers don't require other client programs to be written
    using a particular toolkit, although you'll get a more consistent look
    if the toolkit for the window manager and most of the clients are the same.

    The window manager you get with Motif is mwm, which does use Motif itself.
    But of course the only thing that goes over the wire to the (possibly
    remote) X server is X protocol.

    > The reason I ask: The folks at Digital (now under HP) are not interested in
    > bringing Xwindows on VMS up to speed, especially on VAX which is still at 1.2.
    >
    > Would it be a herculean effort for a "user" to compile Motif 2.2.x with
    > whatever tailoring is needed for it to run on VMS ? (I probably would have to
    > obtain the platform specific source such as file selection and print widgets).

    AFAIK, "Open" Motif is still only free on open source systems (which VMS
    isn't, unless someone dropped a bombshell when I wasn't looking). So
    even if you could do it, you couldn't use it legally.

    That said, it probably depends more than anything else on the state of
    the existing include files. If they haven't been maintained, it would
    be a tougher job than if they have.

    --
    mailto:rlhamil@smart.net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil

  6. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    If my memory serves, there is actually a Motif 2.1 port on the development
    disc for OpenVMS (I could be mixing OpenVMS up with Tru-64 here?). The issue
    is not doing the port, but making Motif fit into the OpenVMS environment.
    The obvious area is in file dialogs and other areas that reveal that OpenVMS
    <> UNIX. But there are lots of other areas too (I've asked this question
    several times of the OpenVMS engineering team). In addition, you have the
    DecWindows widget libraries. These are proprietary widgets that are only
    available on OpenVMS, Tru-64, and I believe eventually on HP-UX. These
    widgets also need to be rebuilt to use Motif 2.x. (You can't mix Motif 1.2
    and Motif 2.x widgets).

    Mark

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > Ken Lee wrote:
    > > Yes, Motif is generally independent of the operating system. In

    addition to
    > > the libraries, there are stand-alone programs like the window manager,

    but
    > > those are also generally OS-independent.

    > Is the window manager tied to a motif versions ? I was under the

    impression
    > that a window manager dealt only with low level X protocol and that motif

    gets
    > translated to low level X packets by the X-client. Is this correct ?
    >
    > The reason I ask: The folks at Digital (now under HP) are not interested

    in
    > bringing Xwindows on VMS up to speed, especially on VAX which is still at

    1.2.

    > Would it be a herculean effort for a "user" to compile Motif 2.2.x with
    > whatever tailoring is needed for it to run on VMS ? (I probably would have

    > obtain the platform specific source such as file selection and print

    widgets).

  7. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    "Richard L. Hamilton" wrote:
    > AFAIK, "Open" Motif is still only free on open source systems (which VMS
    > isn't, unless someone dropped a bombshell when I wasn't looking). So
    > even if you could do it, you couldn't use it legally.

    Well there is sort of a bombshell. VMS is available for free to bobbyists for
    non-commercial use at home. And that includes the licences for
    decwindows-motif which can be granted because VMS is being given away for free.

    And yes, if I were to try compiling the lastest motif on a vax, I am aware
    that the only people I could distribuet to are other hobbyists...

    But it would be a slap in the face of VMS management who haven't kept it up to date.

  8. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    Mark Hatch wrote:
    > several times of the OpenVMS engineering team). In addition, you have the
    > DecWindows widget libraries. These are proprietary widgets that are only
    > available on OpenVMS, Tru-64, and I believe eventually on HP-UX. These
    > widgets also need to be rebuilt to use Motif 2.x. (You can't mix Motif 1.2
    > and Motif 2.x widgets).

    Ok, so the hopes of a hobbyist getting motif are pretty low.... Booo !

    have internal structures for widgets etc change between 1.2 and 2.x ? (is that
    the reason you can't mix them). Is it just a question of recompiling the
    proprieraty widgets once you'd installed the updated include files ?

  9. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    Quoth JF Mezei :
    > "Richard L. Hamilton" wrote:
    >> AFAIK, "Open" Motif is still only free on open source systems (which VMS
    >> isn't, unless someone dropped a bombshell when I wasn't looking). So
    >> even if you could do it, you couldn't use it legally.

    > Well there is sort of a bombshell. VMS is available for free to
    > bobbyists for non-commercial use at home. And that includes the
    > licences for decwindows-motif which can be granted because VMS is
    > being given away for free.

    What bombshell? OpenVMS doesn't come with redistributable source
    code, so it isn't "open source."
    --
    If this was helpful, rate me
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/sap.html

  10. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    In article <3FE14E43.4ED21194@istop.com>,
    JF Mezei writes:
    > "Richard L. Hamilton" wrote:
    >> AFAIK, "Open" Motif is still only free on open source systems (which VMS
    >> isn't, unless someone dropped a bombshell when I wasn't looking). So
    >> even if you could do it, you couldn't use it legally.

    > Well there is sort of a bombshell. VMS is available for free to bobbyists for
    > non-commercial use at home. And that includes the licences for
    > decwindows-motif which can be granted because VMS is being given away for free.

    But you you need a hardware serial number to sign up for it, right? (Which
    means I can't just run it under an emulator...)

    And free for hobbyists != open source (the latter being what the OpenMotif
    license requires)

    > And yes, if I were to try compiling the lastest motif on a vax, I am aware
    > that the only people I could distribuet to are other hobbyists...
    >
    > But it would be a slap in the face of VMS management who haven't kept it up to date.

    --
    mailto:rlhamil@smart.net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil

  11. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    "Richard L. Hamilton" wrote:
    > But you you need a hardware serial number to sign up for it, right? (Which
    > means I can't just run it under an emulator...)

    I don't know what the particularities are, but I know that many have used a
    hobbyist icence for VMS on an emulator (Charon-Vax while it was available for
    hobbyists, and now under SimH).

    > And free for hobbyists != open source (the latter being what the OpenMotif
    > license requires)

    What happens to syststems such as HP-UX and Solaris which are not "open
    source" ? Will they continue with their own separate branch of Motif
    development ? Or will they just have to pay to get the OpenMotif stuff ?

  12. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    In article <3FE2ED5E.E75259C0@istop.com>,
    JF Mezei writes:
    > "Richard L. Hamilton" wrote:
    >> But you you need a hardware serial number to sign up for it, right? (Which
    >> means I can't just run it under an emulator...)

    > I don't know what the particularities are, but I know that many have used a
    > hobbyist icence for VMS on an emulator (Charon-Vax while it was available for
    > hobbyists, and now under SimH).

    Hmm...if I can get a copy legally, I might play with it; I think I've got
    a VAX emulator somewhere that should run ok on Solaris...bit of a step
    down, but not bad for one more oddity; also have Unix V7 on a PDP-11
    emulator, a Z80 emulator or two running CP/M, Bochs (although it's so
    slow as to be almost useless; and maybe I'll get ambitious one day and fix
    the tape stuff so that Hercules (370 emulator) will build on Solaris...it
    would stink to have to pollute my house with an Intel box just to run OS/MFT!

    >> And free for hobbyists != open source (the latter being what the OpenMotif
    >> license requires)

    > What happens to syststems such as HP-UX and Solaris which are not "open
    > source" ? Will they continue with their own separate branch of Motif
    > development ? Or will they just have to pay to get the OpenMotif stuff ?

    HP (+DEC maybe, which they also own now) would be the main creators of
    Motif, I think; I suspect they're permanent members of TOG, that may not
    need to pay any more except footing part of the ongoing bill for
    maintenance. I think Sun bought themselves a maximal license too, so it's
    not necessarily as if they need anything extra for their distros. But that
    does leave you a bit in the lurch if you want 2.x on VMS if HP isn't going
    to provide it.

    --
    mailto:rlhamil@smart.net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil

  13. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > Mark Hatch wrote:
    > > several times of the OpenVMS engineering team). In addition, you have

    the
    > > DecWindows widget libraries. These are proprietary widgets that are only
    > > available on OpenVMS, Tru-64, and I believe eventually on HP-UX. These
    > > widgets also need to be rebuilt to use Motif 2.x. (You can't mix Motif

    1.2
    > > and Motif 2.x widgets).

    > Ok, so the hopes of a hobbyist getting motif are pretty low.... Booo !
    >
    > have internal structures for widgets etc change between 1.2 and 2.x ? (is

    that
    > the reason you can't mix them). Is it just a question of recompiling the
    > proprieraty widgets once you'd installed the updated include files ?

    Yup. They changed the internal structures. But it is not universally true
    that widget sets can support both Motif 1.2 and 2.1. If your widget sets
    were written using "parts offset", then they were compatible with both
    versions. We (ICS) rewrote our widgets to use this part offset. It was a
    real pain. However, most people just recompiled with Motif 2 and offered
    both versions of their libraries.

  14. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    You can get Motif as part of the OpenVMS hobbiest program because
    (DEC/Compaq/HP) have purchased the Motif buyout (this was several million
    dollars at one point). This allows them to provide free copies on their
    hardware without paying any additional royalties to the OpenGroup.

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > "Richard L. Hamilton" wrote:
    > > AFAIK, "Open" Motif is still only free on open source systems (which VMS
    > > isn't, unless someone dropped a bombshell when I wasn't looking). So
    > > even if you could do it, you couldn't use it legally.

    > Well there is sort of a bombshell. VMS is available for free to bobbyists

    for
    > non-commercial use at home. And that includes the licences for
    > decwindows-motif which can be granted because VMS is being given away for

    free.

    > And yes, if I were to try compiling the lastest motif on a vax, I am aware
    > that the only people I could distribuet to are other hobbyists...
    >
    > But it would be a slap in the face of VMS management who haven't kept it

    up to date.

  15. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when JF Mezei wrote:
    > "Richard L. Hamilton" wrote:
    >> But you you need a hardware serial number to sign up for it, right? (Which
    >> means I can't just run it under an emulator...)

    > I don't know what the particularities are, but I know that many have
    > used a hobbyist icence for VMS on an emulator (Charon-Vax while it
    > was available for hobbyists, and now under SimH).

    None of which makes VMS "open source."

    >> And free for hobbyists != open source (the latter being what the OpenMotif
    >> license requires)

    > What happens to syststems such as HP-UX and Solaris which are not
    > "open source" ? Will they continue with their own separate branch of
    > Motif development ? Or will they just have to pay to get the
    > OpenMotif stuff ?

    The only way for them to get support for their operating system is
    through HP and Sun; the only way for them to get support for Motif
    would seem to be through... HP and Sun...

    --
    If this was helpful, rate me
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/unix.html

  16. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    JF Mezei writes in comp.unix.cde:
    |What happens to syststems such as HP-UX and Solaris which are not "open
    |source" ? Will they continue with their own separate branch of Motif
    |development ? Or will they just have to pay to get the OpenMotif stuff ?

    Or they'll just let Motif stay as is and not develop it any more.
    That's pretty much what Sun is doing since GTK is the preferred toolkit
    now.

    Alan Coopersmith alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
    http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM

  17. Re: OpenMotif 2.2.3 Beta available....

    "Richard L. Hamilton" wrote:
    > Hmm...if I can get a copy legally, I might play with it; I think I've got
    > a VAX emulator somewhere that should run ok on Solaris...bit of a step
    > down, but not bad for one more oddity;

    http://www.openvmshobbyist.com/

    is the web site that runs the hobbyist programme. You need to be a "DECUS" (or
    whatever name it has changed to in your country) member though.

+ Reply to Thread