XShapeCombineMask doesn't work well with Gnome - Xwindows

This is a discussion on XShapeCombineMask doesn't work well with Gnome - Xwindows ; I am using RedHat Linux 9 (Intel), and I'm writing an application that draws itself in a window with no title or borders and transparent background so it simply appears as on object on the screen. I have been able ...

  1. XShapeCombineMask doesn't work well with Gnome

    I am using RedHat Linux 9 (Intel), and I'm writing an application that
    draws itself in a window with no title or borders and transparent
    background so it simply appears as on object on the screen.

    I have been able to accomplish this by using XShapeCombineMask which
    uses a bitmap to specify which portions of the window are visible and
    which are not.

    When I run the program in KDE, the window appears correctly with a
    transparent background and no borders or title bar.

    When I run the program in Gnome however, I still get a transparent
    background, and I also get a title bar and border surrounding the
    window.

    How can I eliminate these unwanted elements from displaying with the
    window?

  2. Re: XShapeCombineMask doesn't work well with Gnome

    Hi Tron!

    On 15 Dec 03 at 23:54, "Tron" (Tron Thomas) wrote:

    Tron> When I run the program in KDE, the window appears correctly with a
    Tron> transparent background and no borders or title bar.

    Tron> When I run the program in Gnome however, I still get a transparent
    Tron> background, and I also get a title bar and border surrounding the
    Tron> window.

    Tron> How can I eliminate these unwanted elements from displaying with the
    Tron> window?

    Set TRUE to override_redirect field in XSetWindowAttributes structure
    before you pass it to XCreateWindow.

    --
    Sincerely,
    Dmitry

    --- www.karasik.eu.org ---

    He who dies with most the toys wins

  3. Re: XShapeCombineMask doesn't work well with Gnome

    I tried setting the override_redirect field of the XSetWindowAttributes
    structure to True before creating the window, and it didn't make any
    difference. I still get the title bar and borders.

    Dmitry Karasik wrote:
    > Hi Tron!
    >
    > On 15 Dec 03 at 23:54, "Tron" (Tron Thomas) wrote:
    >
    > Tron> When I run the program in KDE, the window appears correctly with a
    > Tron> transparent background and no borders or title bar.
    >
    > Tron> When I run the program in Gnome however, I still get a transparent
    > Tron> background, and I also get a title bar and border surrounding the
    > Tron> window.
    >
    > Tron> How can I eliminate these unwanted elements from displaying with the
    > Tron> window?
    >
    > Set TRUE to override_redirect field in XSetWindowAttributes structure
    > before you pass it to XCreateWindow.

  4. Re: XShapeCombineMask doesn't work well with Gnome

    Hi Tron!

    On 17 Dec 03 at 02:08, "Tron" (Tron Thomas) wrote:

    Did you also set CWOverrideRedirect bit in valuemask parameter of
    XCreateWindow?

    /dk

    Tron> I tried setting the override_redirect field of the
    Tron> XSetWindowAttributes structure to True before creating the window,
    Tron> and it didn't make any difference. I still get the title bar and
    Tron> borders.

    Tron> Dmitry Karasik wrote:
    >> Hi Tron!
    >>
    >> On 15 Dec 03 at 23:54, "Tron" (Tron Thomas) wrote:
    >>

    Tron> When I run the program in KDE, the window appears correctly with a
    Tron> transparent background and no borders or title bar.
    >>

    Tron> When I run the program in Gnome however, I still get a transparent
    Tron> background, and I also get a title bar and border surrounding the
    Tron> window.
    >>

    Tron> How can I eliminate these unwanted elements from displaying with the
    Tron> window?
    >> Set TRUE to override_redirect field in XSetWindowAttributes structure
    >> before you pass it to XCreateWindow.

    --
    Sincerely,
    Dmitry

    --- www.karasik.eu.org ---

    He who dies with most the toys wins

  5. Re: XShapeCombineMask doesn't work well with Gnome

    No, I forgot to set the CWOverridRedirct bit. That fixed the problem.
    Thanks Dmitry.

    Dmitry Karasik wrote in message news:<84ad5r1wfa.fsf@raven.plab.ku.dk>...
    > Hi Tron!
    >
    > On 17 Dec 03 at 02:08, "Tron" (Tron Thomas) wrote:
    >
    > Did you also set CWOverrideRedirect bit in valuemask parameter of
    > XCreateWindow?
    >
    > /dk
    >
    > Tron> I tried setting the override_redirect field of the
    > Tron> XSetWindowAttributes structure to True before creating the window,
    > Tron> and it didn't make any difference. I still get the title bar and
    > Tron> borders.
    >
    > Tron> Dmitry Karasik wrote:
    > >> Hi Tron!
    > >>
    > >> On 15 Dec 03 at 23:54, "Tron" (Tron Thomas) wrote:
    > >>

    > Tron> When I run the program in KDE, the window appears correctly with a
    > Tron> transparent background and no borders or title bar.
    > >>

    > Tron> When I run the program in Gnome however, I still get a transparent
    > Tron> background, and I also get a title bar and border surrounding the
    > Tron> window.
    > >>

    > Tron> How can I eliminate these unwanted elements from displaying with the
    > Tron> window?
    > >> Set TRUE to override_redirect field in XSetWindowAttributes structure
    > >> before you pass it to XCreateWindow.

+ Reply to Thread