Need help installing Windows XP thru DOS - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Need help installing Windows XP thru DOS - Xwindows ; Hi, I'm having a frustrating time installing XP on my parents' computer. They were having issues with their Windows ME registry and then inadvertantly erased Windows while mucking around. I'm unable to find our Windows ME CDs anywhere, so I'm ...

  1. Need help installing Windows XP thru DOS

    Hi,

    I'm having a frustrating time installing XP on my parents' computer.
    They were having issues with their Windows ME registry and then
    inadvertantly erased Windows while mucking around. I'm unable to find
    our Windows ME CDs anywhere, so I'm unable to install it. However, I
    do have XP, and have been trying to install it via DOS and I'm not
    sure what I'm doing wrong -- the process always seems to die halfway.

    I'm not doing a clean install, because there's a bunch of data on the
    hard drive that my folks need to keep. The install from the CD-Rom
    seems to go fine until one is prompted to restart so that the GUI
    portion of the install/setup can take place. When the computer
    restarts, the familiar Windows XP startup screen appears followed by a
    second screen that says "setup is being restarted." Then the screen
    just goes dark. It actually very infrequently flickers but is for the
    overwhelming majority of the time blank.

    I already tried doing this process with "enable vga mode" on in safe
    mode, but that didn't seem to change the outcome...

    Might it be a video card or driver problem? If so, what do I do?
    Remove the drivers? How do I do that in DOS? If I do remove the
    drivers, do I reinstall the same ones later, or do I need different
    versions? If it's a problem with the card, do I need to remove it and
    replace it with something else?

    Any advice would be appreciated!!!

    Thanks!
    Kannan

  2. Re: Need help installing Windows XP thru DOS

    Kannan Arumugam wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having a frustrating time installing XP on my parents' computer.

    [snip]

    I'm sorry, but you'll not get much help from this newsgroup.

    You see, comp.windows.x takes as it's topic the X network protocol and the
    graphical windowing environments that use it. Comp.windows.x has nothing to do
    with Microsoft Windows, except for (perhaps) discussing X implementations under
    that platform.

    Your question is off-topic here, and probably should be asked in one of the
    comp.os.ms-windows.* newsgroups instead.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training