USB 2.0 Problems - Xwindows

This is a discussion on USB 2.0 Problems - Xwindows ; I am having problems with my USB Controllers. I bought a USB 2.0 External Hard drive Enclosure. It has been plug and play on three computers (all with WinXP Home) at USB 2.0 speeds; however, on my desktop I get ...

  1. USB 2.0 Problems

    I am having problems with my USB Controllers. I bought a USB 2.0
    External Hard drive Enclosure. It has been plug and play on three
    computers (all with WinXP Home) at USB 2.0 speeds; however, on my
    desktop I get a message stating that there is no High-Speed USB Host
    Controller installed and that the device will operate at USB 1 speeds
    only. My desktop is "homemade" with an Albatron Board with the Intel
    865PE Chipset (yes, it does have USB 2.0 support). It has WinXP Pro
    with SP1a. I have read news groups for hours and this is what I have
    done.

    All the Microsoft docs say to right click on the Enhanced USB
    Controller under device manager and reinstall the driver (SP1a is
    suppose to have USB 2.0 support automatically... hahaha). Under my
    device manager there is no Enhanced USB Controller. I have tried to
    update all the Standard USB Controllers, but they will not find a USB
    Enhanced driver.

    I have downloaded the most recent version of my Chipset drivers from
    Intel and installed them.

    I went to add new hardware (after adding and removing drivers for
    three hours) and saw a PCI/USB Controller that had the yellow--this
    device is not doing so well--sign on it. I installed the device and
    it was the Enhanced USB 2.0 Controller. Now in the Device Manager
    there are normal USB Controllers and a single Enhanced USB Controller;
    but, when I plug my external hard drive in I get a warning that states
    that "there has been a problem installing your device and it may not
    function correctly". The drive does not show up in my computer any
    more and cannot be added under Add new Hardware...

    If I do a system restore and back up to a point before I installed the
    Enhanced Controller, the External Hard drive will function after the
    original warning of "No High-Speed USB Host..."

    I am between a rock and a hard place. Without the enhanced
    controller, I have a USB 2.0 external drive that will work at USB 1
    speeds. With the enhanced controller, I cannot get my drive to
    install (note... all my other USB devices will still work as USB 1,
    only the external drive will not work).

    I need some help!

    Thanks,

    Tom

  2. Re: USB 2.0 Problems

    bwanatom@hotmail.com (Tom) writes:

    > I am having problems with my USB Controllers.

    And this has exactly what to do with X11?

    > All the Microsoft docs

    Oh, go away.

    > I need some help!

    Obviously, at least in locating the correct newsgroup for your issues.

  3. Re: USB 2.0 Problems

    Atro> bwanatom@hotmail.com (Tom) writes:
    >> I am having problems with my USB Controllers.

    Atro> And this has exactly what to do with X11?

    >> All the Microsoft docs

    Atro> Oh, go away.

    >> I need some help!

    Atro> Obviously, at least in locating the correct newsgroup for your issues.

    I have noticed that all (well quite alot of them) these Windows XP questions
    to Windos X NG come from Google. Should Google make change the system so that
    group description is shown before you can send an article?

    --
    Arto V. Viitanen av@cs.uta.fi
    University of Tampere, Department of Computer Sciences

  4. Re: USB 2.0 Problems

    On 10 Dec 2003 20:59:30 -0800, bwanatom@hotmail.com (Tom) wrote:

    >I am having problems with my USB Controllers. I bought a USB 2.0
    >External Hard drive Enclosure. It has been plug and play on three
    >computers (all with WinXP Home)

    [snip]

    Sorry, but we can't help you here.

    The subject of the comp.windows.x newsgroup is the X network protocol, and
    the graphical windowing systems that use it. As such, this newsgroup does
    not have anything to do with Microsoft Windows except for discussing
    implementations of X on that platform.

    Your question has nothing to do with the X protocol or it's supporting
    applications. You probably should ask in one of the comp.os.ms-windows.*
    newsgroups to get a proper answer.

    Sorry.

    --
    Lew Pitcher
    IT Consultant, Enterprise Technology Solutions