XDM with backgrounds - Xwindows

This is a discussion on XDM with backgrounds - Xwindows ; Hello, I just changed from kdm to xdm since I really like how it looks. I heard that I can change it settings to have a background image, and I have done so. But I also have heard about having ...

  1. XDM with backgrounds

    Hello, I just changed from kdm to xdm since I really like how it looks.
    I heard that I can change it settings to have a background image, and
    I have done so. But I also have heard about having animated
    backgrounds, as in a screensaver running as the background image. Is
    this possable and how, I kinda tried it myself and well it works, like a
    screensaver. I cant reach the login box. Any ideas?

    David M

  2. Re: XDM with backgrounds

    David M Noriega writes:

    > Hello, I just changed from kdm to xdm since I really like how it
    > looks. I heard that I can change it settings to have a background
    > image, and I have done so. But I also have heard about having
    > animated backgrounds, as in a screensaver running as the background
    > image. Is this possable and how, I kinda tried it myself and well it
    > works, like a screensaver. I cant reach the login box. Any ideas?

    Some screensavers have options to draw in the root-window (the
    background). I know xlock have the option -inroot.

    --
    - Mårten

    mail: msv@kth.se *** ICQ: 4356928 *** mobile: +46 (0)707390385

  3. Re: XDM with backgrounds

    "David M Noriega" wrote in message
    news:yt6Ab.94178$do1.52669@twister.austin.rr.com.. .
    > Hello, I just changed from kdm to xdm since I really like how it looks.
    > I heard that I can change it settings to have a background image, and
    > I have done so. But I also have heard about having animated
    > backgrounds, as in a screensaver running as the background image. Is
    > this possable and how, I kinda tried it myself and well it works, like a
    > screensaver. I cant reach the login box. Any ideas?

    Well, you haven't said *what* you tried so it's hard to say what
    you've done wrong. Your comment of not "reach(ing) the login box"
    leads me to assume that it *is* displayed (contrasted with being
    overlayed by some other window or not present at all) but the
    focus is being held by some *other* application, etc.

    I run xearth "behind" my xdm login box by adding
    PATH_TO_XEARTH/xearth XEARTH_OPTIONS &
    to my Xsetup file for that particular display (server).

    Read the xdm man page to see how the various xdm configuration
    files/scripts are used by xdm and in which order, etc.
    --don

    N.B. Incoming mail is not accepted at this email address.

  4. Re: XDM with backgrounds

    D Yuniskis wrote:
    > "David M Noriega" wrote in message
    > news:yt6Ab.94178$do1.52669@twister.austin.rr.com.. .
    >
    >>Hello, I just changed from kdm to xdm since I really like how it looks.
    >> I heard that I can change it settings to have a background image, and
    >>I have done so. But I also have heard about having animated
    >>backgrounds, as in a screensaver running as the background image. Is
    >>this possable and how, I kinda tried it myself and well it works, like a
    >>screensaver. I cant reach the login box. Any ideas?

    > Well, you haven't said *what* you tried so it's hard to say what
    > you've done wrong. Your comment of not "reach(ing) the login box"
    > leads me to assume that it *is* displayed (contrasted with being
    > overlayed by some other window or not present at all) but the
    > focus is being held by some *other* application, etc.
    >
    > I run xearth "behind" my xdm login box by adding
    > PATH_TO_XEARTH/xearth XEARTH_OPTIONS &
    > to my Xsetup file for that particular display (server).
    >
    > Read the xdm man page to see how the various xdm configuration
    > files/scripts are used by xdm and in which order, etc.
    > --don
    >
    > N.B. Incoming mail is not accepted at this email address.

    Oh sorry! Yea its like the screensaver is ontop of the login panel, so
    I guess its the screensaver that holds the focus. It may sound tacky
    but Im trying to use xmatrix, I have had luck with running it as my
    background while logged in(I use windowmaker) I tried xlock but that
    uses up way too much cpu cycles.(I tried it while logged in and it would
    work but yea cpu maxes out and any other object that was up would like
    leave a blank spot from the end of its window to the bottom of the
    screen) xearth huh? I havent seen that one yet, I'll take a look.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread