getting x applications to display across machines - Xwindows

This is a discussion on getting x applications to display across machines - Xwindows ; I'm trying to figure out what steps I need to follow to get an x application, run remotely, to display on my screen. I'm running sparc solaris gnome 2.0 at home. When I rlogin into my sparc machine at work, ...

  1. getting x applications to display across machines

    I'm trying to figure out what steps I need to follow to get an x
    application, run remotely, to display on my screen.

    I'm running sparc solaris gnome 2.0 at home. When I rlogin into my
    sparc machine at work, I'd like to be able to start up an application
    and have it display at home.

    I set my DISPLAY variable appropriatly and export it. However, for whatever
    reason, the application never displays, nor do I get an error displayed
    on the screen.

    The version of the OS is the same on both machines.

    What else might I be forgetting to set up for this?
    --
    http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > In God we trust.
    http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ >

  2. Re: getting x applications to display across machines

    lvirden@yahoo.com writes:

    > I'm trying to figure out what steps I need to follow to get an x
    > application, run remotely, to display on my screen.
    >
    > I'm running sparc solaris gnome 2.0 at home. When I rlogin into my
    > sparc machine at work, I'd like to be able to start up an application
    > and have it display at home.
    >
    > I set my DISPLAY variable appropriatly and export it. However, for whatever
    > reason, the application never displays, nor do I get an error displayed
    > on the screen.
    >
    > The version of the OS is the same on both machines.
    >
    > What else might I be forgetting to set up for this?

    Any firewalls between your home and work?

  3. Re: getting x applications to display across machines

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:53:15 +0100, lvirden wrote:
    > I set my DISPLAY variable appropriatly and export it. However, for
    > whatever reason, the application never displays, nor do I get an error
    > displayed on the screen.

    man xhost
    man xauth

  4. Re: getting x applications to display across machines

    According to Dan Espen :
    :Any firewalls between your home and work?

    Hmm - I believe so. Time to find out what to do about that. Thanks for
    the idea.

    --
    http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > In God we trust.
    http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ >