Has anyone used Reflection X? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Has anyone used Reflection X? - Xwindows ; Hello Gurus: Has anyone used Reflection X? Here is the scenario: I have a Windows XP machine at home and I want to log into a remote network of Sun Ultra machines. I want to have the gnome 2.0 appear ...

  1. Has anyone used Reflection X?

    Hello Gurus:

    Has anyone used Reflection X? Here is the scenario: I have a Windows
    XP machine at home and I want to log into a remote network of Sun
    Ultra machines. I want to have the gnome 2.0 appear on my desktop, as
    well as the sun management console, which is part of Solaris 9, the
    remote site that I want to log into. I will be telnetting into the
    remote site. At that point, I want to be able to switch, from
    command-line UNIX to a GUI, such as GNOME or Solaris Management
    Console and have it appear on my Windows XP at home. Is this a good
    use for Reflection X? I also understand that, most X Windows products
    have LBX built into it. Can someone assist me? Thank guys.

    Sincerely,

    A Not-So-Newbie UNIX student.

  2. Re: Has anyone used Reflection X?

    dominick@cyberspace.org (Dominick DiMantova) writes:

    > Hello Gurus:
    >
    > Has anyone used Reflection X? Here is the scenario: I have a Windows
    > XP machine at home and I want to log into a remote network of Sun
    > Ultra machines. I want to have the gnome 2.0 appear on my desktop, as
    > well as the sun management console, which is part of Solaris 9, the
    > remote site that I want to log into. I will be telnetting into the
    > remote site. At that point, I want to be able to switch, from
    > command-line UNIX to a GUI, such as GNOME or Solaris Management
    > Console and have it appear on my Windows XP at home. Is this a good
    > use for Reflection X?

    I have used Reflection X in that way, except I was using ssh to log
    in. I recommend you use ssh as well, it's makes things both simpler
    and safer. To start the whole GUI you run the command Xsession. If that
    doesn't give you the right GUI you can run the apropriate script in
    /usr/dt/config or /etc/dt/config with the prefix Xsession.

    > I also understand that, most X Windows products
    > have LBX built into it. Can someone assist me? Thank guys.

    I haven't tried LBX. You could get some compression by simply turning
    compression on in ssh.

    --
    - Mårten

    mail: msv@kth.se *** ICQ: 4356928 *** mobile: +46 (0)707390385

  3. Re: Has anyone used Reflection X?

    f95-msv@f.kth.se (Mårten Svantesson) wrote in message news:...
    > dominick@cyberspace.org (Dominick DiMantova) writes:
    >
    > > Hello Gurus:
    > >
    > > Has anyone used Reflection X? Here is the scenario: I have a Windows
    > > XP machine at home and I want to log into a remote network of Sun
    > > Ultra machines. I want to have the gnome 2.0 appear on my desktop, as
    > > well as the sun management console, which is part of Solaris 9, the
    > > remote site that I want to log into. I will be telnetting into the
    > > remote site. At that point, I want to be able to switch, from
    > > command-line UNIX to a GUI, such as GNOME or Solaris Management
    > > Console and have it appear on my Windows XP at home. Is this a good
    > > use for Reflection X?

    > I have used Reflection X in that way, except I was using ssh to log
    > in. I recommend you use ssh as well, it's makes things both simpler
    > and safer. To start the whole GUI you run the command Xsession. If that
    > doesn't give you the right GUI you can run the apropriate script in
    > /usr/dt/config or /etc/dt/config with the prefix Xsession.
    >
    > > I also understand that, most X Windows products
    > > have LBX built into it. Can someone assist me? Thank guys.

    > I haven't tried LBX. You could get some compression by simply turning
    > compression on in ssh.

    Have you ever tried VNC? I understand that involves installing it on
    both ends-my end and the remote end. How do I install it at the remote
    end? I have the CD in my drive at home, so how do I upload it to the
    remote site? Please advise.

+ Reply to Thread