Explanation of Windows X - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Explanation of Windows X - Xwindows ; Hello, folks: I am a student of Unix systems administration, Solaris, and I am in the process of telnetting into an online lab, Sun Ultras, that I can use to practice sys admin tasks, to get rready for my Sun ...

  1. Explanation of Windows X

    Hello, folks:

    I am a student of Unix systems administration, Solaris, and I am in
    the process of telnetting into an online lab, Sun Ultras, that I can
    use to practice sys admin tasks, to get rready for my Sun
    certification tests. I don't have my own network of Ultra machines to
    practice on and the webmaster suggested that, if I want to use the GUI
    features of Solaris 9, I need DSL, in order to connect, as a regular
    dial-up modem will be painfully slow. He suggested that I use
    Xwindows, so my question is: What is XWindows and can you supply me
    with some documentation that I can read about Xwindows? I'd appreciate
    y'alls help. Thanks.

    A Unix student

  2. Re: Explanation of Windows X

    dominick@cyberspace.org (Dominick DiMantova) wrote in
    news:f222f979.0312010919.714af218@posting.google.c om:

    > What is XWindows and can you supply me
    > with some documentation that I can read about Xwindows?

    My web site has pointers to hundreds of FAQs, reference manuals, tutorials,
    etc. on the X Window System.

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

  3. Re: Explanation of X Windows

    Ken Lee wrote in message news:...
    > dominick@cyberspace.org (Dominick DiMantova) wrote in
    > news:f222f979.0312010919.714af218@posting.google.c om:
    >
    > > What is XWindows and can you supply me
    > > with some documentation that I can read about Xwindows?

    > My web site has pointers to hundreds of FAQs, reference manuals, tutorials,
    > etc. on the X Window System.
    >
    > Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

    I do appreciate your help. I have looked at your site and it gave me
    everything I wanted to know about X, but was afraid to ask. If you
    don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question:

    I want to be able to use the Solaris Management Console, which are GUI
    tools, when I log into the online labs. The site owner, who is one of
    the top UNIX gurus, said that, to take advantage of the gui tools, I
    would need connection speed of a DSL. Well, I have dial-up, but after
    researching, I fould that LBX is good for dial-up connection speeds.
    So, is there alot of configuring on the X Server and X Client? Thanks.

  4. Re: Explanation of X Windows

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 06:32:03 -0800, Dominick DiMantova wrote:
    > I want to be able to use the Solaris Management Console, which are GUI
    > tools, when I log into the online labs. The site owner, who is one of
    > the top UNIX gurus, said that, to take advantage of the gui tools, I
    > would need connection speed of a DSL. Well, I have dial-up, but after
    > researching, I fould that LBX is good for dial-up connection speeds.
    > So, is there alot of configuring on the X Server and X Client? Thanks.

    Configuring X is a nightmare. Fortunately, unless you like pain, you don't
    need to.

    Assuming you have a spare PC at home, do this:

    1) Install Linux from a distribution CD. any distro will do.

    2) ssh +X into the solaris box. +X tells it to forward X connections

    3) open an xterm. It should appear on your PC screen. Ifnot, check your
    xauth settings (should have been automagically set by ssh)

    4) enjoy.

    If you want/need to do this over Windows or a Mac, or absolutely want to
    use LBX, then I cannot advise you.

  5. Re: Explanation of X Windows

    Dominick DiMantova wrote:
    > I want to be able to use the Solaris Management Console, which are GUI
    > tools, when I log into the online labs. The site owner, who is one of
    > the top UNIX gurus, said that, to take advantage of the gui tools, I
    > would need connection speed of a DSL. Well, I have dial-up, but after
    > researching, I fould that LBX is good for dial-up connection speeds.

    It depends on the actual application. X is a hybrid system that has some work
    done locally by the X terminal (called an X server), and most of the work done
    by the remote system (called an X client).

    The client-server inversion becomes logical when you consider that it is the
    "mainframe" that connects to the terminal.

    As a result, you'll need 2 components on your PC: an X terminal emulator, as
    well as a normal telnet (or ssh) client.

    You'll need to telnet to the remote host, login, and then start an X
    application, giving it your IP address as display destination. Then, the
    application will start, and its output will appear as a GUI window in the x-terminal.

    If the application you start on the mainframe is a session manager such as
    CDE, then you'll have some menu appear on your x terminal from which you can
    launch other applications (and they will be directed to your x terminal by default).

    So you'd need to ask your system manager the exact commands to enter to start
    the session manager on your remote x terminal display.

    You can then judge for yourself if the speed over dialup is acceptable or not.

    If you just need to look at it (as opposed to working with it), it may be
    acceptable, and its slowness may teach you a few things about how X works
    since you'll see how a window is progressively built/displayed.

  6. Re: Explanation of X Windows

    Johan wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 06:32:03 -0800, Dominick DiMantova wrote:
    >> I want to be able to use the Solaris Management Console, which are GUI
    >> tools, when I log into the online labs. The site owner, who is one of
    >> the top UNIX gurus, said that, to take advantage of the gui tools, I
    >> would need connection speed of a DSL. Well, I have dial-up, but after
    >> researching, I fould that LBX is good for dial-up connection speeds.
    >> So, is there alot of configuring on the X Server and X Client? Thanks.

    > Configuring X is a nightmare. Fortunately, unless you like pain, you don't
    > need to.
    >
    > Assuming you have a spare PC at home, do this:
    >
    > 1) Install Linux from a distribution CD. any distro will do.
    >
    > 2) ssh +X into the solaris box. +X tells it to forward X connections
    >
    > 3) open an xterm. It should appear on your PC screen. Ifnot, check your
    > xauth settings (should have been automagically set by ssh)
    >
    > 4) enjoy.
    >

    > If you want/need to do this over Windows or a Mac, or absolutely want to
    > use LBX, then I cannot advise you.

    I would also recommend the -C parameter for SSH to compress the data.
    Especially over dial-up you will see a large improvment.
    --
    Mail address: en_ee_tea would be 'net'.

  7. Re: Explanation of X Windows

    James News wrote in message news:...
    > Johan wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 06:32:03 -0800, Dominick DiMantova wrote:
    > >> I want to be able to use the Solaris Management Console, which are GUI
    > >> tools, when I log into the online labs. The site owner, who is one of
    > >> the top UNIX gurus, said that, to take advantage of the gui tools, I
    > >> would need connection speed of a DSL. Well, I have dial-up, but after
    > >> researching, I fould that LBX is good for dial-up connection speeds.
    > >> So, is there alot of configuring on the X Server and X Client? Thanks.

    > > Configuring X is a nightmare. Fortunately, unless you like pain, you don't
    > > need to.
    > >
    > > Assuming you have a spare PC at home, do this:

    I have an intel machine and I will be installing FreeBSD on it.

    > > 1) Install Linux from a distribution CD. any distro will do.
    > >
    > > 2) ssh +X into the solaris box. +X tells it to forward X connections

    So, say I want to log into the remote site--at my pc, I do a 'ssh +X
    ....' into the remote site? When I'm in, say I want to use GNOME 2.0,
    which the remote site will have (the remote site is a network of Sun
    Ultra machines, using Solaris 8 and 9. I will use 9, since I'm
    studying for the latest Sun certification. How do I start GNOME? I
    also want to use the Sun Management Console, which are java-based GUI
    tools for things like user/security management, setting up RBAC, etc.
    How do I use that?

    > > 3) open an xterm. It should appear on your PC screen. Ifnot, check your
    > > xauth settings (should have been automagically set by ssh)

    How do I open an Xterm? Install any software from X.org? Does freebsd
    have software bundled with it to set up your home pc as an X server?

    > > 4) enjoy.
    > >

    > > If you want/need to do this over Windows or a Mac, or absolutely want to
    > > use LBX, then I cannot advise you.

    > I would also recommend the -C parameter for SSH to compress the data.
    > Especially over dial-up you will see a large improvment.

+ Reply to Thread