emacs won't open a new winows - always runs in xterm - Xwindows

This is a discussion on emacs won't open a new winows - always runs in xterm - Xwindows ; Somehow, xemacs (and emacs too) have started refusing to create a new window. Instead they run as though invoked with -nw, i.e. they display inside the terminal from which they were invoked. Other X applications, eg Mozilla and xmms, work ...

  1. emacs won't open a new winows - always runs in xterm

    Somehow, xemacs (and emacs too) have started refusing to create a new
    window. Instead they run as though invoked with -nw, i.e. they display
    inside the terminal from which they were invoked. Other X applications, eg
    Mozilla and xmms, work fine. DISPLAY is set to :0.0, BTW.

    I tried renaming my .xemacs directory and also my .emacs flie to see
    something there was causing a problem, but that had no effect.

    I'm running xfree 4.2.1 under gentoo linux. xemacs is 21.4.12, and emacs
    is 21.3.1. Any idea of what could be causing this or how I could diagnose
    the problem?

  2. Re: emacs won't open a new winows - always runs in xterm

    robt@aya.yale.edu (rlyacht) writes:

    > Somehow, xemacs (and emacs too) have started refusing to create a new
    > window. Instead they run as though invoked with -nw, i.e. they display
    > inside the terminal from which they were invoked. Other X applications, eg
    > Mozilla and xmms, work fine. DISPLAY is set to :0.0, BTW.
    >
    > I tried renaming my .xemacs directory and also my .emacs flie to see
    > something there was causing a problem, but that had no effect.
    >
    > I'm running xfree 4.2.1 under gentoo linux. xemacs is 21.4.12, and emacs
    > is 21.3.1. Any idea of what could be causing this or how I could diagnose
    > the problem?

    did you build {,x}emacs yourself? in that case, did you install on
    your system the header files required to build x applications? (note
    that configure is perfectly happy preparing for you a build without
    X support)

    in the other case, have you checked that your distribution does not
    serve two {,x}emacs packages, one without X support, the other with it?

    --
    ATTACKED BY IRC SERVER. WEB PAGES. SINKING. U-159.

+ Reply to Thread