Minimizing / Iconifying xterms with "unreadable" font - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Minimizing / Iconifying xterms with "unreadable" font - Xwindows ; I'm using FVWM2, and I'd like to have my xterms display their content when they are iconified. By ctrl right clicking I can select the "unreadable" font, then I can move the small window down to where the icons go, ...

  1. Minimizing / Iconifying xterms with "unreadable" font

    I'm using FVWM2, and I'd like to have my xterms display their content
    when they are iconified. By ctrl right clicking I can select the
    "unreadable" font, then I can move the small window down to where the
    icons go, and I can make a key binding which will make the window
    "sticky". It would be nice to have this all done as the default
    "minimize" behavior for xterms. Is this possible?

  2. Re: Minimizing / Iconifying xterms with "unreadable" font

    mwdeeds@yahoo.com (Matt Deeds) writes:

    > I'm using FVWM2, and I'd like to have my xterms display their content
    > when they are iconified. By ctrl right clicking I can select the
    > "unreadable" font, then I can move the small window down to where the
    > icons go, and I can make a key binding which will make the window
    > "sticky". It would be nice to have this all done as the default
    > "minimize" behavior for xterms. Is this possible?

    You might consider using one of the terminal emulators with
    "active icons". I forget which ones they are.

    I believe Fvwm can do what you want using conditionals in a function.
    There was a recent thread on the fvwm mailing list about taking
    grabs of windows with "import". (At least that's what I think it
    was about.) See the thread "Determine window's Icon".

    If you want to really get fancy with Fvwm, the fvwm mailing list
    is the place to go.

  3. Re: Minimizing / Iconifying xterms with "unreadable" font

    Matt Deeds escribió:
    > I'm using FVWM2, and I'd like to have my xterms display their content
    > when they are iconified. By ctrl right clicking I can select the
    > "unreadable" font, then I can move the small window down to where the
    > icons go, and I can make a key binding which will make the window
    > "sticky". It would be nice to have this all done as the default
    > "minimize" behavior for xterms. Is this possible?

    Xterm has an option to show an 'active icon', that is, the iconified window displays its content exactly in the manner that you describe. I've used it myself with fvwm. I don't remember the details, though; do a 'man xterm', it must be there.

    --
    To reach me by email: transform my account name like IBM -> HAL.

  4. Re: Minimizing / Iconifying xterms with "unreadable" font

    neoholistic wrote:
    > Matt Deeds escribió:
    >> I'm using FVWM2, and I'd like to have my xterms display their content
    >> when they are iconified. By ctrl right clicking I can select the
    >> "unreadable" font, then I can move the small window down to where the
    >> icons go, and I can make a key binding which will make the window
    >> "sticky". It would be nice to have this all done as the default
    >> "minimize" behavior for xterms. Is this possible?

    > Xterm has an option to show an 'active icon', that is, the iconified window
    > displays its content exactly in the manner that you describe. I've used it
    > myself with fvwm. I don't remember the details, though; do a 'man xterm', it
    > must be there.

    You also have to setup fvwm so it doesn't try making its own icon. fvwm's
    documentation on the matter is rather limited. Here's what I did to make
    it work, recently, to check if it was working properly:

    > rcsdiff /etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwm2rc

    RCS file: /etc/X11/fvwm/RCS/system.fvwm2rc,v
    retrieving revision 1.1
    diff -r1.1 /etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwm2rc
    30c30
    < ImagePath /usr/local/share/icons:/usr/share/icons:/usr/share/pixmaps:/usr/include/X11/pixmaps:/usr/local/share/icons:/usr/share/icons:/usr/include/X11/bitmaps:/usr/X11R6/include/bitmaps
    ---
    > # ImagePath /usr/local/share/icons:/usr/share/icons:/usr/share/pixmaps:/usr/include/X11/pixmaps:/usr/local/share/icons:/usr/share/icons:/usr/include/X11/bitmaps:/usr/X11R6/include/bitmaps

    109c109
    < Style "default-style" Icon default.xbm
    ---
    > # Style "default-style" Icon default.xbm

    149c151,152
    < Style "XTerm" Icon xterm-linux.xpm, MiniIcon mini.xterm.xpm
    ---

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  5. Re: Minimizing / Iconifying xterms with "unreadable" font

    "Matt Deeds" wrote in message
    news:2b55877c.0311251256.779a9e29@posting.google.c om...
    > I'm using FVWM2, and I'd like to have my xterms display their content
    > when they are iconified. By ctrl right clicking I can select the
    > "unreadable" font, then I can move the small window down to where the
    > icons go, and I can make a key binding which will make the window
    > "sticky". It would be nice to have this all done as the default
    > "minimize" behavior for xterms. Is this possible?

    make sure xterm was built with support for active icons enabled
    (i.e. run "xterm -help" and verify the "+ai", "-ai" and "-fi" options
    are listed)

    create your xterms with the "+ai" command line switch (e.g., I use
    "xterm +ai -ls")

    make sure fvwm* doesn't try to manage the icon for you

    make sure your server has access to the "nil2" font (though it
    is sort of amusing to see what the iconified xterms look like
    *without* that font!). Alternatively, you can specify a
    different font to be used in the iconified representation
    (i.e., with the "-fi " command line switch)

    Note that the iconified xterms will not only display a representation
    of their contents when iconified but that this display will be *updated*
    as those contents change (even while iconified) *and* the icon
    will accept keyboard input whenever it has the focus...

    --don

    N.B. Incoming mail is not accepted at this email address.

  6. Re: Minimizing / Iconifying xterms with "unreadable" font

    In article <2b55877c.0311251256.779a9e29@posting.google.com>,
    Matt Deeds wrote:
    >I'm using FVWM2, and I'd like to have my xterms display their content
    >when they are iconified. By ctrl right clicking I can select the
    >"unreadable" font, then I can move the small window down to where the
    >icons go, and I can make a key binding which will make the window
    >"sticky". It would be nice to have this all done as the default
    >"minimize" behavior for xterms. Is this possible?

    I didn't know about "xterm +ai" until I read the other responses
    to your question. So I tried making an xterm with "xterm +ai" then
    minimized it. Lo and behold, it did exactly what you are asking for.

    I didn't have to take any particular steps to achieve this.

    I am running SuSE 9.0 with fvwm 2.5.7 as distributed with it.

    --
    Rouben Rostamian