Re: Aaargh! Pseudocolor 8 <---> Truecolor 24 - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Re: Aaargh! Pseudocolor 8 <---> Truecolor 24 - Xwindows ; dr.lizard wrote: > >> > 2) Run a 24-bit X-server directly and run a vnc-server X-session in >> > 8-bit color, using vncclient to open that X-server on the 24-bit one. >> > If they connect to it using 127.0.0.1, ...

  1. Re: Aaargh! Pseudocolor 8 <---> Truecolor 24

    dr.lizard wrote:

    >> > 2) Run a 24-bit X-server directly and run a vnc-server X-session in
    >> > 8-bit color, using vncclient to open that X-server on the 24-bit one.
    >> > If they connect to it using 127.0.0.1, this should be pretty quick.

    > I did an RPMFIND and can't find any "vncclient." I did find "vnc" so i
    > downloaded and installed
    > vnc-3.3.3r2-9.3mdk.rpm and installed it on my Mandrake 8.2, but still
    > no "Xvnc" or "vncclient."
    > It does have "vncviewer" -- is this what i should be using...?

    Yes, vnc has two parts, one called vncserver, which is actually an X-session
    that runs "headless" (meaning it isn't showing directly to a physical
    screen) and vncviewer, which, when connecting to a vncserver, will open a
    window on your current desktop inside which you see the vncserver
    X-session.

    I should have provided you with the address of vnc: http://www.realvnc.com/

    They have documentation explaining how it all works, and I've been using it
    successfully to get a graphical interface to a headless linuxserver.

    > I notice there is a thing called "Overlay" described on some Web pages
    > regarding XF86Config-4 but
    > i don't know how to set it up. And am beginning to SUSPECT that our
    > NVIDIA GeForce 4 card may
    > NOT support it. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON WHAT CARD TO REPLACE IT WITH
    > would be
    > appreciated. We want 8-bit pseudocolor, 24-bit truecolor/directcolor
    > and two displays (right now we
    > only have one but if we have to buy a new card we have decided we may
    > as well get two because
    > we open a LOT of windows while we're working and are getting sick of
    > them overlapping all the time.)

    NVIDIA cards usually support dual displays (although at the same bit-depth).
    There is a ton of information on-line on how to configure this, if you are
    using the closed-source NVIDIA drivers, the README file provided with them
    contains a good explanation on running dual-headed.

    > I would love to type "xdpyinfo" and have "Pseudocolor" 8-bit come up
    > as the Default visual, but
    > i don;t know how to get it to show up as any visual. Instructions?

    No, sorry, I don't have any experience running in this mode, so more
    specific info I can't give.

    I hope you get things running shortly.

    Bart

  2. Re: Aaargh! Pseudocolor 8 <---> Truecolor 24

    In article <3fc3a221$0$1125$6c56d894@feed0.news.be.easynet.net>,
    Bart Declercq writes:
    > > I notice there is a thing called "Overlay" described on
    > > some Web pages regarding XF86Config-4 but i don't know how
    > > to set it up. And am beginning to SUSPECT that our NVIDIA
    > > GeForce 4 card may NOT support it. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON
    > > WHAT CARD TO REPLACE IT WITH would be appreciated. We want
    > > 8-bit pseudocolor, 24-bit truecolor/directcolor and two
    > > displays (right now we only have one but if we have to buy a
    > > new card we have decided we may as well get two because we
    > > open a LOT of windows while we're working and are getting
    > > sick of them overlapping all the time.)

    > NVIDIA cards usually support dual displays (although at the same bit-depth).
    > There is a ton of information on-line on how to configure this, if you are
    > using the closed-source NVIDIA drivers, the README file provided with them
    > contains a good explanation on running dual-headed.

    I know that overlay mode works with Matrox g200 and g400 cards.
    I've used 8/24 overlay with the g200. It worked perfectly well
    except for one application which would cause the entire X server
    to crash from time to time. Now I run in 8 bit mode all the
    time.

    Sigh....