Seeking help setting up authentication between two x machines - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Seeking help setting up authentication between two x machines - Xwindows ; I've a machine at home running X. I want to log into a machine at work and have x apps there display back at the local machine. However, doing an xhost + doesn't work - the local machine is still ...

  1. Seeking help setting up authentication between two x machines

    I've a machine at home running X. I want to log into a machine at work
    and have x apps there display back at the local machine.

    However, doing an xhost + doesn't work - the local machine is still
    rejecting the remote x client requests . I need
    to learn how to managine xauth appropriately so that I can get
    this working.

    Can anyone point me to a guide or command that would aid in getting
    this kind of setup to work?
    --
    http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > In God we trust.
    http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ >

  2. Re: Seeking help setting up authentication between two x machines

    lvirden@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I've a machine at home running X. I want to log into a machine at work
    > and have x apps there display back at the local machine.
    >
    > However, doing an xhost + doesn't work - the local machine is still
    > rejecting the remote x client requests . I need
    > to learn how to managine xauth appropriately so that I can get
    > this working.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a guide or command that would aid in getting
    > this kind of setup to work?

    Could you use "ssh"? I use it and it works nicely from an XP box using
    cygwin, to my home machine using Linux.

    (xpmachine)$ ssh -C -X userid@home.mine.com

    This gives me a login shell on my home machine from my XP machine elsewhere.
    The "-C" specifies to use compression. The -X tells the machine at home to
    set the display to my xp machine.

    The side benefit is that the entire session is encrypted.

+ Reply to Thread