win XP can't boot up even from CD (XP) - Xwindows

This is a discussion on win XP can't boot up even from CD (XP) - Xwindows ; Hi! My friend has a following problem with her computer bought less than a year ago. She can still use the warranty, but since repair shop is 500 km away, I would like to check here first if anyone can ...

  1. win XP can't boot up even from CD (XP)

    Hi!

    My friend has a following problem with her computer bought less than a year
    ago. She can still use the warranty, but since repair shop is 500 km away, I
    would like to check here first if anyone can guess the cause and solution.

    She isn't very "computer-friendly" person so here is her explanation how it
    happened inthe first place:

    she was in the middle of the process of installation of a game (Medal of
    Honour 2 I think) when system collapsed. After AUTO-restart, windows stopped
    in the process of bootinng up. When I came to the place, situation was like
    this:

    after first "bios" screen and checking disks, computer just stops and screen
    is blank (black). No sounds (beeping or anything). When I put windows CD
    (and it's set in BIOS to boot first from CDROM) it says "Booting up from CD
    ROM", after that I can hear CD starts spinning, and then again the same:
    blank screen, nothing happens.

    What can it be?

    I don't know the exact data about processor and RAM, but i's new computer,
    so I guess its Pentium IV with enough RAM and prior to this it was working
    OK. Windows XP.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: win XP can't boot up even from CD (XP)

    The first thing I would try is to restore the registry to a previous point.
    Here are the instructions from the help system. Of course, you need to
    start with #4.

    WT

    To start the computer using the last known good configuration

    1.. Print these instructions before continuing. They will not be available
    after you shut down your computer in step 2.
    2.. Click Start, click Shut Down, and then, in the drop-down list, click
    Shut down.
    3.. In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.
    4.. When you see the message Please select the operating system to start,
    press F8.
    5.. Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and
    then press ENTER.
    6.. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the
    installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press
    ENTER.
    Notes

    a.. Choosing Last Known Good Configuration provides a way to recover from
    problems such as a newly added driver that may be incorrect for your
    hardware. It does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers
    or files.
    b.. When you choose Last Known Good Configuration, only the information in
    registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet is restored. Any changes you have
    made in other registry keys remain.
    c.. NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will
    function.

    "ken" wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > My friend has a following problem with her computer bought less than a

    year
    > ago. She can still use the warranty, but since repair shop is 500 km away,

    > would like to check here first if anyone can guess the cause and solution.
    >
    > She isn't very "computer-friendly" person so here is her explanation how

    it
    > happened inthe first place:
    >
    > she was in the middle of the process of installation of a game (Medal of
    > Honour 2 I think) when system collapsed. After AUTO-restart, windows

    stopped
    > in the process of bootinng up. When I came to the place, situation was

    like
    > this:
    >
    > after first "bios" screen and checking disks, computer just stops and

    screen
    > is blank (black). No sounds (beeping or anything). When I put windows CD
    > (and it's set in BIOS to boot first from CDROM) it says "Booting up from

    CD
    > ROM", after that I can hear CD starts spinning, and then again the same:
    > blank screen, nothing happens.
    >
    > What can it be?
    >
    > I don't know the exact data about processor and RAM, but i's new computer,
    > so I guess its Pentium IV with enough RAM and prior to this it was working
    > OK. Windows XP.
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: win XP can't boot up even from CD (XP)

    ken wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > My friend has a following problem with her computer bought less than a year
    > ago. She can still use the warranty, but since repair shop is 500 km away, I
    > would like to check here first if anyone can guess the cause and solution.

    [snip]
    > I don't know the exact data about processor and RAM, but i's new computer,
    > so I guess its Pentium IV with enough RAM and prior to this it was working
    > OK. Windows XP.

    I'm sorry, but comp.windows.x is not the proper forum to post this sort of
    question, and you probably won't get much help here.

    You see, the topic of comp.windows.x is the X networking protocol, and the
    graphical windowed environments that use it. This forum has nothing to do with
    discussions about Microsoft Windows other than (perhaps) discussing X
    implementations on them.

    Your question has nothing to do with X, and probably should be asked in one of
    the comp.os.ms-windows.* newsgroups instead.

    Sorry

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training