Set mouse acceleration & velocity - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Set mouse acceleration & velocity - Xwindows ; Greetings. I am using SuSE 9.0, KDE 3.1.4, and XFree86 4.3.0.1-29 on a laptop with a built-in touchpad and an external USB Logitech MouseMan mouse. Both the touchpad and the mouse function simultaneously, which is nice. I don't want to ...

  1. Set mouse acceleration & velocity

    Greetings.

    I am using SuSE 9.0, KDE 3.1.4, and XFree86 4.3.0.1-29 on a laptop with
    a built-in touchpad and an external USB Logitech MouseMan mouse. Both
    the touchpad and the mouse function simultaneously, which is nice. I
    don't want to mask this behaviour. However, any changes I make to the
    mouse acceleration settings using KDE's Control
    Center->Peripherals->Mouse->Advanced or using the command-line xset
    command are applied only to the touchpad. This is problematic because
    the USB mouse, which I normally use, is far too sensitive.

    Can someone tell me how I can change the acceleration settings for the
    USB mouse? (Perhaps this is easily answered by the xset manpage, but
    no xset manpage is installed, and a YaST search for 'xset' yields
    nothing on the installation media. Perhaps SuSE has forgotten to
    include it...?)

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _

  2. Re: Set mouse acceleration & velocity

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:10:01 +0100
    Tristan Miller wrote:

    > the USB mouse? (Perhaps this is easily answered by the xset
    > manpage, but no xset manpage is installed, and a YaST search for
    > 'xset' yields nothing on the installation media. Perhaps SuSE has
    > forgotten to include it...?)

    Try this command:

    pin xset

    SUSE 7.3 returns a *long* list, but it looks like it's in xf86 rpm
    (although I just did a very quick scan of the resultant output).

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Montana, USA)
    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.

    Linux 2.4.10-4GB
    7:57am up 4 days, 4:55, 5 users, load average: 0.16, 0.14, 0.20

  3. Re: Set mouse acceleration & velocity

    Kevin Nathan wrote:

    > Try this command:
    >
    > pin xset
    >
    > SUSE 7.3 returns a *long* list, but it looks like it's in xf86 rpm
    > (although I just did a very quick scan of the resultant output).

    As always Kevin is spot on

    barkit@basket:~> pin xset

    grepping /var/lib/pin/ARCHIVES.gz ... please wait

    <<<---snip--->>>

    ../CD1/suse/i586/XFree86-4.3.0.1-21.i586.rpm: -rwxr-xr-x
    root root 41355 Sep 23 21:37 /usr/X11R6/bin/xset

    <<<---snip--->>>

    HTH

    --
    Mark
    Twixt hill and high water.

  4. Re: Set mouse acceleration & velocity

    Greetings.

    In article , baskitcaise
    wrote:
    >> Try this command:
    >>
    >> pin xset
    >>
    >> SUSE 7.3 returns a *long* list, but it looks like it's in xf86 rpm
    >> (although I just did a very quick scan of the resultant output).
    >>

    > As always Kevin is spot on
    >
    > barkit@basket:~> pin xset
    >
    > ./CD1/suse/i586/XFree86-4.3.0.1-21.i586.rpm: -rwxr-xr-x
    > root root 41355 Sep 23 21:37 /usr/X11R6/bin/xset

    Funny, that doesn't look like a man page to me.

    --
    _

  5. Re: Set mouse acceleration & velocity

    Tristan Miller wrote:

    > Greetings.
    >
    > In article , baskitcaise
    > wrote:
    >>> Try this command:
    >>>
    >>> pin xset
    >>>
    >>> SUSE 7.3 returns a *long* list, but it looks like it's in xf86 rpm
    >>> (although I just did a very quick scan of the resultant output).
    >>>

    >> As always Kevin is spot on
    >>
    >> barkit@basket:~> pin xset
    >>
    >> ./CD1/suse/i586/XFree86-4.3.0.1-21.i586.rpm: -rwxr-xr-x
    >> root root 41355 Sep 23 21:37 /usr/X11R6/bin/xset

    > Funny, that doesn't look like a man page to me.

    No its not, it is the location and package that contains the xset command
    which answers part of the Q

    "and a YaST search for 'xset' yields nothing on the installation
    media.**Perhaps*SuSE*has forgotten to include it...?)"

    --
    Mark
    Twixt hill and high water.
    N.Wales, UK.
    Email is spam trap try baskitcaise at gmx dot co dot uk

  6. Re: Set mouse acceleration & velocity

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:41:24 +0100
    Tristan Miller wrote:

    > Funny, that doesn't look like a man page to me.

    I *thought* I'd clipped your original msg to indicate the part I was
    answering. Obviously, I must not have. Sorry.

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Montana, USA)
    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.

    Linux 2.4.10-4GB
    12:47pm up 4 days, 9:46, 5 users, load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.00

  7. Re: Set mouse acceleration & velocity

    Greetings.

    In article , baskitcaise
    wrote:
    >>> root root 41355 Sep 23 21:37 /usr/X11R6/bin/xset

    >> Funny, that doesn't look like a man page to me.
    >>

    > No its not, it is the location and package that contains the xset
    > command which answers part of the Q
    >
    > "and a YaST search for 'xset' yields nothing on the installation
    > media.**Perhaps*SuSE*has forgotten to include it...?)"

    When reading a sentence with a pronoun, it helps to read some previous
    text to determine what the pronoun is referring to:

    > (Perhaps*this*is*easily*answered*by*the*xset
    > manpage, but no xset manpage is installed, and a YaST search for
    > 'xset' yields nothing on the installation media.**Perhaps*SuSE*has
    > forgotten to include it...?)

    Ergo "it" == "xset manpage". (To further reduce ambiguity, the
    paragraph previous to the one quoted above makes it fairly clear that
    SuSE does indeed come with the xset binary.)

    Apologies if I wasn't clear enough -- I don't know how else I could have
    described searching YaST for an xset manpage other than by saying I
    searched for the string "xset".

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _

  8. Re: Set mouse acceleration & velocity

    Tristan Miller wrote:

    > Apologies if I wasn't clear enough -- I don't know how else I could have
    > described searching YaST for an xset manpage other than by saying I
    > searched for the string "xset".

    No biggy Triston,

    Actually if you notice I was not responding to you directly I was just filling
    in where Kevin left off

    He started to show the "pin xset" and omitted some of the output, which I was
    just expanding on with a more detailed output from said command.

    --
    Mark
    Twixt hill and high water.
    N.Wales, UK.
    Email is spam trap try baskitcaise at gmx dot co dot uk

  9. Re: Set mouse acceleration & velocity

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 15:20:42 +0100
    Tristan Miller wrote:

    > Ergo "it" == "xset manpage".
    >
    > Apologies if I wasn't clear enough -- I don't know how else I could
    > have described searching YaST for an xset manpage other than by
    > saying I searched for the string "xset".

    But you can't read a manpage until the program is installed. Since you
    couldn't find it via Yast (it doesn't always respond well to searches
    within it), I showed you another way to find the package/program in
    which you were interested.

    I responded tersely the second time because the one line response you
    sent:

    Funny, it doesn't look like a man page

    was, itself, terse and sounded snotty. It probably wasn't and I was
    probably having a bad day, so we will just chalk it up to a rather
    poor communication on both of our parts, ok? :-)

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Montana, USA)
    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.

    Linux 2.4.10-4GB
    10:30am up 5 days, 7:28, 5 users, load average: 0.14, 0.14, 0.09

+ Reply to Thread