xhost command - Xwindows

This is a discussion on xhost command - Xwindows ; Question I have two ( 2) server, Compaq ML 370, ( one is "Online" , other standby). We are using SCO UnixWare 7.1.1 with TED GUI removed, and using just straight X11 R6. I've go one ( 1) X-terminal ( ...

  1. xhost command

    Question

    I have two ( 2) server, Compaq ML 370, ( one is "Online" , other standby).
    We are using SCO UnixWare 7.1.1
    with TED GUI removed, and using just straight X11 R6. I've go one ( 1)
    X-terminal ( NCD 900 , NCbridge ). So if the "online" server goes down. they
    just go to other server, login on to it from the Tektronic Host menu screen.
    As the Host menu screen will show the two ( 2) servers IP address.

    My question this is all connected via a "internal" network. They ( customer)
    would like me to "close" up my "X"
    stuff. How / where can I use the "xhost" command so that only the one
    X-terminal can logon to either of the servers. And what is the command
    stucture. I want to use just IP addresses for this command. I know the
    "xhost +" turns the world on. Do I put this is Xsession file ? This is all
    for security reasons

    Neal Zierk

  2. Re: xhost command

    "Neal & Denise Zierke" writes:

    > Question
    >
    > I have two ( 2) server, Compaq ML 370, ( one is "Online" , other standby).
    > We are using SCO UnixWare 7.1.1
    > with TED GUI removed, and using just straight X11 R6. I've go one ( 1)
    > X-terminal ( NCD 900 , NCbridge ). So if the "online" server goes down. they
    > just go to other server, login on to it from the Tektronic Host menu screen.
    > As the Host menu screen will show the two ( 2) servers IP address.
    >
    > My question this is all connected via a "internal" network. They ( customer)
    > would like me to "close" up my "X"
    > stuff. How / where can I use the "xhost" command so that only the one
    > X-terminal can logon to either of the servers. And what is the command
    > stucture. I want to use just IP addresses for this command. I know the
    > "xhost +" turns the world on. Do I put this is Xsession file ? This is all
    > for security reasons

    It seems like you have missunderstood the use of xhost. Xhost is used
    to limit who can access the X-servers (in you case X-terminals). You
    seem to limit from where you can start Xsessions on the servers. Since
    starting Xsessions is handled by a display manager that's the program
    to configure. The ones I know of are gdm (Gnome), kdm (KDE) and xdm
    (the old standard one).

    This document seems to describe kdms access control:
    http://www.owlriver.com/tips/gdm-setup/remotexkdm.html

    GDM uses TCP Wrappers (/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny)
    http://www.ibiblio.org/oswg/oswg-nig.../daemonov.html

    For xdm read its man-page, especially the section XDMCP ACCESS CONTROL.

    --
    - Mårten

    mail: msv@kth.se *** ICQ: 4356928 *** mobile: +46 (0)707390385

  3. Re: xhost command

    "Neal & Denise Zierke" writes:

    > Question
    >
    > I have two ( 2) server, Compaq ML 370, ( one is "Online" , other standby).
    > We are using SCO UnixWare 7.1.1
    > with TED GUI removed, and using just straight X11 R6. I've go one ( 1)
    > X-terminal ( NCD 900 , NCbridge ). So if the "online" server goes down. they
    > just go to other server, login on to it from the Tektronic Host menu screen.
    > As the Host menu screen will show the two ( 2) servers IP address.
    >
    > My question this is all connected via a "internal" network. They ( customer)
    > would like me to "close" up my "X"
    > stuff. How / where can I use the "xhost" command so that only the one
    > X-terminal can logon to either of the servers. And what is the command
    > stucture. I want to use just IP addresses for this command. I know the
    > "xhost +" turns the world on. Do I put this is Xsession file ? This is all
    > for security reasons

    It seems like you have missunderstood the use of xhost. Xhost is used
    to limit who can access the X-servers (in your case the X-terminal).
    What you want to do is limiting which X-servers can start Xsessions on
    the servers. Since starting Xsessions is handled by a display manager
    that is the program to configure. The ones I know of are gdm (Gnome),
    kdm (KDE) and xdm (the old standard one). So first find out which
    display manager you are using and then read the corresponding
    documentation.

    This document seems to describe kdms access control:
    http://www.owlriver.com/tips/gdm-setup/remotexkdm.html

    For gdm see "XDMCP Access Control" in
    http://www.jirka.org/gdm-documentation/x75.html

    For xdm read its man-page, especially the section XDMCP ACCESS CONTROL.

    --
    - Mårten

    mail: msv@kth.se *** ICQ: 4356928 *** mobile: +46 (0)707390385

+ Reply to Thread